Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
cheddarnibbles said:
Probably for the same reason that Liverpool (Blue Funnel's home port)was always known as the capital of Wales.
I always thought Liverpool was the capital of Ireland.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I sailed in Blue Funnel ships for many years, from 1946 onwards, and there were always quite a few "Taffs" in the crew. The story is that when a young Welsh lad reached the age of fifteen he was taken to the top of mount Snowdon, pointed in the direction of Vittoria dock in Birkenhead and told "Yonder lies the promised land"!!
Some of the best seamen sailed in Blue Flu.

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Blue Funnel

I sailed one voyage with Blue Funnel and 90% of the crew were from Wales hence the referral to the Welsh Navy.It was also roughly the same when visiting other Blue Funnel vessels in foreign ports - could be your answer

·
Registered
85 Posts
Regarding the capital business. The saying in Liverpool where I was born and bred, was, " Home rule for Wales and give Liverpool back to the Irish"!
Shops would also take Irish money.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Gang,
Always new Holt line as Alfie Holts,thought they were mostly crewed by Chinese,hence the large number of chinese restaurants in Liverpool?Liverpool was to my Knowledge the capital of Ireland, God Bless Liverpool,he's already blessed the Irish?
Neil Mac.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Just a wild thought and it's completely off the wall, perhaps the Greek mythological names given to the vessels sounded Welsh to the untrained ear. Yeah stupid idea isn't it. (Night)

·
Registered
340 Posts
gdynia said:
I sailed one voyage with Blue Funnel and 90% of the crew were from Wales hence the referral to the Welsh Navy.It was also roughly the same when visiting other Blue Funnel vessels in foreign ports - could be your answer
My first trip with Bluies, Atreus in 70, the entire deck dept. was from North Wales, I was the only "white man" in the mast house! It was a relief to arrive in Singapore and hear a civilized language! LOL.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
cheddarnibbles said:
Probably for the same reason that Liverpool (Blue Funnel's home port)was always known as the capital of Wales.
Sorry Liverpool always known as capital of Irland (Night)

·
Registered
156 Posts
jim barnes said:
Sorry Liverpool always known as capital of Irland (Night)
Welsh....Irish.....Scouse........Who cares ??????????..............
My apprenticeship with Blue Funnel will always be the best 4 years of my life.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
With a choice of going down into the mines or going to sea there is no doubt to why you had a lot of fine young Welsmen onboard the Blues, anyhow somebody had to go out and educate the rest of the world didnt they boyo!!
John.

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
John.

Most of the mining was done in south Wales, there wasn't so much of it done here in the north.

Tmac.

I have often heard it said that the Welsh are the Irish who couldn't swim, so I guess that Liverpool belongs to us both! LOL

·
Registered
766 Posts
I wonder - could the welsh refer to Blue Funnel ship that ran away from Napier straight after the earthquake, 1932 I think. It didnt give any help but ran away. Blue Funnel was banned from NZ after this, never to be returned. Not even allowed there during the war. A lot of people have long memories.
JIm B (Cloud)

·
Registered
842 Posts
J Boyde said:
I wonder - could the welsh refer to Blue Funnel ship that ran away from Napier straight after the earthquake, 1932 I think. It didnt give any help but ran away. Blue Funnel was banned from NZ after this, never to be returned. Not even allowed there during the war. A lot of people have long memories.
JIm B (Cloud)
Jim,
I heard this story many years ago whilst I was at sea, was sceptical about its authenticity at the time, thinking that Alfred Holt as a company could not do such a thing. But with you reiterating it here does make it more credible.
Makes one wonder ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Jim and Michael,

I too heard this tale, going to do some digging when I get home later this week and see if I can find the story....may make a new thread-or do we perhaps leave sleeping dogs lie?

Regards

Allan

·
Registered
842 Posts
Allan James said:
Jim and Michael,

I too heard this tale, going to do some digging when I get home later this week and see if I can find the story....may make a new thread-or do we perhaps leave sleeping dogs lie?

Regards

Allan

Allan,

Might be best for a peaceful life. (*))

1 - 20 of 53 Posts