Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
theres been a lot of talk about sam boats fort/park,and T2s
what about the west hartlepool jeep,the only co i've sailed with that had some in their fleet were jones of newport ,uskmouth uskside,anybody else come across them

·
Registered
442 Posts
Jardine Mathesons had five wartime "Empire Malta" class, all built towards the end of the war by Wm Gray & Son, West Hartlepool for MOWT.
All were of approx 3550 Gt.
The first bought was the "Hangsang", ex "Empire Malta" followed by "Hinsang", "Hewsang", Hopsang" and "Hosang". They were used mainly in the Borneo to Hong Kong timber trade and lasted into the sixties, "Hosang" was sold by Jardines in 1968 and was scrapped in 1970 after 26 years afloat. I think they were known as "Jeeps."

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
the company you mentioned dom used to bring them to middle docks on the tyne in the late 50s early 60s i worked on them while serving my time, i believe they used to carry sparta grass at the time, all had the foremast on the focsle head.

cheers tom (*))

·
Registered
532 Posts
My first trip 1946 "Northern Pioneer". Managed by Wm. France Fenwick I think. I seem to have the impression that she still wore wartime colors. All grey.

This is the first mention I have ever heard about that type of ship after all the years that have gone by since. (60!) Can anybody steer me in the direction of a picture of "Northern Pioneer", or one of her type?

A shadow of a wisp of barely a faint chance, I Know

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dom

i've no photos sorry, but post a query on one of the threads,they are very good and some one is sure to come up with something,there was a book ,the usk boats, jones of newport
dom

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dom

oldbosun said:
My first trip 1946 "Northern Pioneer". Managed by Wm. France Fenwick I think. I seem to have the impression that she still wore wartime colors. All grey.

This is the first mention I have ever heard about that type of ship after all the years that have gone by since. (60!) Can anybody steer me in the direction of a picture of "Northern Pioneer", or one of her type?

A shadow of a wisp of barely a faint chance, I Know
this is the only one i can find at the moment dom

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ah yes that's the ship type. Why did I always have the impression that they were American built? The word 'Jeep'? Our American 2nd mate? How many of them were built,does anybody know?

Many thanks for the picture. Brings back a memory from the dim past. (Applause)

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dom

oldbosun said:
Ah yes that's the ship type. Why did I always have the impression that they were American built? The word 'Jeep'? Our American 2nd mate? How many of them were built,does anybody know?

Many thanks for the picture. Brings back a memory from the dim past. (Applause)
no idea where the name came from ,thats all i've ever known them as,dont even know where they were built,briish as they had an empire pre fix
dom

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
dom

dom said:
no idea where the name came from ,thats all i've ever known them as,dont even know where they were built,briish as they had an empire pre fix
dom
go to google type empire valour 2nd page 3rd entry

·
Banned
25 Posts
The "Jeeps" were An American wartime standard ship (N3-S-A1).
There is a previous thread with some information here:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=4400&highlight=jeep

A picture, posted by John Feltham, at the following site:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/13060/size/big/password/0/sort/2/cat/all
Note similarity to the ship photo posted by Dom.

I don't know how many were constructed, but the Walter Butler Shipbuilders, Inc., Superior, Wisconsin built eighteen in 1943 that went directly to Britain.
These were the smallest American war standard design and could be built on the Great Lakes for delivery to the East Coast.
Bruce C

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dom

there appears to be two types of this vessel,empire valour/uskmouth
built w.gray hartlepool 1943, maybe the name west hartlepool jeep is to difference the british and american built vesels

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Remember France Fenwick having one. 1946 in Aberdeen. The Captain was Falkinbridge from Whitby.
Another ship . Think the name was Dundrum Bay loaded with timber keeled over while discharging at Tyne Dock

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jeeps

Sailed on the ss.Letchworth as radio officer in March/April/May 1954 - Middleboro-Marsaille-Sfax-Leith . I have just put a photograph of it on the gallery.

I also signed on the ss.Uskport but did not sail on but was sent on a radar course and transfered to the m.v.Ireland which had just been acquired by Curries of Leith as their flag ship.

I understood the jeeps were very basic ships built to support the D day landings. They were coal burners with woodbine funnels and a top speed of 10 knots. The radio gear was primitve. I remember the emergency HT supply was two banks of 60 open cell lead acid ac***ulators many of which were smashed when we hit bad weather after leaving Marsaille.

With a deck cargo of esparta grass we hit a gale off the mouth of the Firth of Forth and got blown across to Norway and had to tack our way back.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Jardine Mathesons had five wartime "Empire Malta" class, all built towards the end of the war by Wm Gray & Son, West Hartlepool for MOWT.
All were of approx 3550 Gt.
The first bought was the "Hangsang", ex "Empire Malta" followed by "Hinsang", "Hewsang", Hopsang" and "Hosang". They were used mainly in the Borneo to Hong Kong timber trade and lasted into the sixties, "Hosang" was sold by Jardines in 1968 and was scrapped in 1970 after 26 years afloat. I think they were known as "Jeeps."
My first ship on joining Jardines was the Hangsang (subsequently sailed on Hosang and Hinsang during my time with them)
I was a bit puzzled when I joined her. She was in the quarantine anchorage at Stonecutters Island, fresh in from Borneo yet the decks were covered in men unlashing the log deck cargo. It turned out that there were no 'professional' stevedores in the ports visited in Borneo so the 'H' boats carried their own, signed on as sailor/stevedore. The total crew hovered between 88 and 92 and she was a veritable rabbit warren of accomodation, even still having enough room for 'Asian First Class' passengers on the boat deck - another 12 !! The H boats had had a hard life by the time I joined them in '64 carrying small general cargo southbound and a full log cargo north. (almost invariably arriving in HK with the GM around zero !) We reckoned if you could line the holes up in the hold bulkheads you would see from one end to the other !! The Chinese crew were also experts in patching over rusty holes in the accom bulkheads with paint covered silver paper. Happy ships though.
I was told they had been built as heavy lift ships for the D Day landings, with peculiar high coamings. I think all of them had been in service with Everards previously. The heavy lift derricks were no longer there instead she had 2 derricks and three open winches to a hatch all set so that she used union purchase to load the hold, with the third winch used to wing out the logs via snatch blocks (Bull-wire), then in a very short time converted to one luffing derrick with steam guys for placing the deck cargo. I was informed early on by the head Compradore that it was not safe for officers to go on deck when the deck was loading and to leave it to the bosun !!
Sorry to go on a bit but it brought back so many memories of these China Sea characters
Mike

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hi Peter, I think you will find that the 'Ashbel Hubbard/ Solidarity, was an American Jeep, whereas the 'Seniority' of 1949 ex 'Aviswell', ex. 'Empire Boswell' built in 1942 by William Gray & co. was a West Hartlepool Jeep.
Cheers Bruce.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Thanks for that Bruce. I was very much working from memory regarding the 'Solidarity' which I think was lost on a voyage from Norway.

As far as I know Everards only owned the two Jeeps which is surprising when you consider the amount of ex-MOWT ships they had, so perhaps they did not suit their purpose.

Visited an elderly gent not so long back who has a nice model of her as the 'Ashbel Hubbard' which he sailed on as a Sparkie.

Peter4447(Thumb)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts