Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
many years ago before i went to sea, about 20 years, i used to live in hartlepool, and went to school in elwick road
a mile away. to be quiet honest, i couldent fault the company, i think it was the captain a ER hanson, that had more to do with the situation. but it put a lot of semen off going back to sea. including me. plus those ****s in the pool office. pair of right dodgey buggers???

·
Registered
29 Posts
oh yes, not to mention the dodgy cheif steward, forget his name, ordered crayfish from england via a airconditioned lorry, no wonder the company sold the fleet??

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Greetings,

Robs Audi mon brave,

I presume you went to "Elwick Road School", which was one of the better ones in town. The Memsahib went there but sadly I was a Jessie sort of chap.

"Elwick Road School" was demolished a couple of years ago to make way for an Old Folks care home (The sublime to the ridiculous if you like)

Aye

Pat Thompson

You can't get enough photos of "O'Boats"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Greetings,

Robs Audi mon brave,

I presume you went to "Elwick Road School", which was one of the better ones in town. The Memsahib went there but sadly I was a Jessie sort of chap.

"Elwick Road School" was demolished a couple of years ago to make way for an Old Folks care home (The sublime to the ridiculous if you like)

Aye

Pat Thompson

hi pat yes i went there, 1967 i remember we had to go to mealtimes over the road to some nissan type huts to eat our meals. i lived in clifton avenue, i went back there some years ago, were the school had been turned into a collage, or somthing, i now live in colchester essex, been here 31 years.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Greetings,

I just realised that a "Jessie sort of chap" could give some folks entirely the wrong idea. By "Jessie" I mean "Jesmond Road School", should have called it "Jezzie". I'm sure Robs Audi will know what I mean.

Robs, I reckon the nissan type huts were in the Burn Valley on the other side of Elwick Road anyway I'll sent you a photo of Elwick Road School as it now is and if you tell me what number Clifton Avenue you lived I'll send you a photo of that too.

Aye

Pat Thompson

·
Registered
29 Posts
Greetings,

I just realised that a "Jessie sort of chap" could give some folks entirely the wrong idea. By "Jessie" I mean "Jesmond Road School", should have called it "Jezzie". I'm sure Robs Audi will know what I mean.

Robs, I reckon the nissan type huts were in the Burn Valley on the other side of Elwick Road anyway I'll sent you a photo of Elwick Road School as it now is and if you tell me what number Clifton Avenue you lived I'll send you a photo of that too.

Aye

Pat Thompson

hi pat i lived in a big house, that was divided into 4 flats, we lived in 56a clifton avenue, my farther worked on the new shopping centre at the time, behind bins, we lived there 3 years, remember going fishing off the docks at west hartlepool at that time, went swimming at a swimming pool near seaton creaw.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi pat i lived in a big house, that was divided into 4 flats, we lived in 56a clifton avenue, my farther worked on the new shopping centre at the time, behind bins, we lived there 3 years, remember going fishing off the docks at west hartlepool at that time, went swimming at a swimming pool near seaton creaw.
photoes would be great mate. also remember playing in jackson park after school.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Steve

Is your second name French by any chance.

I was On Lindenhall. Have a Suez picture somewhere. The ship was taken in black and white and just coloured in.

Contact me if you wish.

R

·
Registered
985 Posts
Ah memories......
I lived in West Hartlepool from 1948 until 1955. We first lived in a rented house in Seaton Carew and then in The Oval up near Ward Jackson Park. Went to Rosebank school for a while and then was fired off to boarding school in Saltburn and then York. We arrived just after the big pit prop fire near the South Durham Steel & Iron Works and I can recall the match works going up in smoke later too.
Many happy memories of the place. Dad was Works Manager at Richardson's & Westgarth's at the time and I used to see lots of ships launched and engines on test. Did quite a few sneaky trips on the life boat too when on practice shouts.
Live out in Western Australia now and I took my Aussie wife back to see the place a few years ago. Amazed at the changes and I could not find my way around initially........they have cleaned all the soot off the buildings.
Anyone remember the old taxis back in the late forties and fifties?.....used to be Rolls Royces..ancient things from before the war. Never forget the things.
Ah memories and the smell of tar and fish down near the docks.....
Kippers for breakfast........man that was living.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Back in the early 60's I believe the Company had one of their ships on long term charter to an Indian company, I think it carried the name 'Jalastiltonhall'. Would she have sailed with a normal British crew during the time of her charter?
Peter4447(Thumb)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Greetings,

WHSN's Siltonhall was on charter to Scindia (I think I have the spelling right) on a time charter with option to buy. During that period she ws named "Jalasiltonhall" and had UK crew. At the end of the charter, around 1966 (ish) the option to buy was taken up and she became the "Jalagomati" (I think I have the spelling right) and presumably was crewed in accordance with Scindia's normal practice.

Aye

Pat Thompson

·
Banned
38 Posts
Very many thanks for that Pat - I assume she must have spent a very long time away from UK waters during that period.
Peter(Thumb)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Jalasiltonhall

Greetings again,

I had a shufti through my bits and pieces and came up with this about the Jalasiltonhall. It states that she is still in service but the book it was taken from is probably 1980s vintage, hope it helps.

The other picture is the WHSN Houseflag, a Saint Hilda's Cross.

Aye

Pat Thompson

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
lindenhall

like all companies when i sailed with them they were only out to make money, ******** to the crew. managed to get the key to the cargo hold, we had a great time. lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Looking back I would sign up for WHSN again. I was 16 when I went off with them and only left because they folded while I was doing my 2nd mates ticket. Despite working long hard hours under 1st mate Bob Harris I learnt my trade the old way but properly. Most of my peers only went in the wheelhouse to clean the windows. These blokes actually taught me t drive !!!!!!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts