Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi i was on the first trip in1975, on the new lindenhall, sailed from imingham, was suposed to be a 3month trip, so thats what they told me at the pool office, sailed to europe, aussy, then the gulf, terrible trip. in the gulf the ships air con broke down, we ran out of booze, ran out of ciggs, and the whole crew asked to be paid off. we were stuck off jedda for 3 months, with 200 other ships waiting to be unloaded. we got the union involed, they then said to the company, if we dident get sent home, the dockers in the uk, wouldent unload any vessal belonging to this company.. 2 weeks later, we were all told to pack our bags as there was another crew coming out to take our place, within 24 hours, the company charted a british airways jet to bring in new crew and send us home. we were not to see the other crew or make contact. we were put up in a hotel over night before we flew out next day, in total it was a nine month trip. this was my last trip in the merchant navy, i was not the only crew member to leave, others also said it was the worst trip they had ever done in 30 years. im glad this company dosent now exist, plus instead of being just a galley boy, i had to double up as messman as well, no extra pay. food was good but thats all. rant over now, rob,
I also Joined from the pool in August 1972 but it was Grantleyhall at Liverpool.
I and a fellow "virgin" Junior Engineer were also told its a 3 month trip!October 1973, 13 months later and one and a half cir***navigations later we paid off in Lisbon at dry dock, with the offer we could sign on again after 2 weeks leave!
We didnt take their kind offer up though i do look back on that time with a lot of happy memories, would'nt have missed it for anything. I do wonder what happened to all my old shipmates as I lost touch when I lost all their contact details.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Tied up in front of Grantlyhall in Townsville in January 1975. She had a English Bosun but the rest of the deck croud were Spanish

·
Registered
9 Posts
Captain Alan Mccarty

I served my time with WHSN company (1963-1967)I remember Doug Robinson,Peter Langley,Pat Thompson and a Charlie or Chas all were cadets whist I was there.
Am now living in San Pedro Costa Rica.
Since 1988 worked on the pax ships in Florida
Served on the Kepwickhall,Jalasiltonhall and Apsleyhall

·
Registered
106 Posts
my first ship as jnr. engineer was the grantleyhall, did 2 x4 month trips from late 1970, early 1971. had an absolute ball, but did not get asked back after my second trip, this was obviously jealousy on the part of everyone else (nah, as the chief (geddes?) said, "you have the makings of a good engineer, but you're a bad drunk" ) would go back on her anytime, now i'm older and a little wiser.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, I see that this thread had not been written on for quite a few years, but I hope that ex WHSN employees still look back on here.
I joined the Lindenhall in Jeddah with a full crew because as was mentioned earlier the whole of the last crew asked to be sent home as they had been in port for 3 months waiting to be unloaded, well we were there for another 2 months before eventually being unloaded and we brought the ship back to dry dock in Falmouth.
Names really do escape me, I remember joining the ship with a classmate of mine from Gravesend called David Green I think from Norwich, then there was a steward called Paul who helped us sort our passports out in London, the deck crew were all from Somalia, other names that spring to mind were mainly nicknames, Suet (from Stanraer I think) Noddy, think he was a cook, and Ginger, he was an engineer.
After the Lindenhall I joined the Ardenhall in Singapore, if anybody remembers those days, please get in contact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Afternoon anyone
Sailed on lindenhall 78/79 as many above for what was to be 4/6 but ended up 9 months ch eng I believe was from boro 2e can't remember 3e Brian Howe from Bishop 4e George Smith from Shields .5Es myself Graeme ?from Boldon,can't think of anyone else ?but as I recallhad s marvellous time States South America South Africa and then Rotterdam for drydock option to rejoin after drydock but declined

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was a pantry boy aboard the kepwickhall 1963 .London,hamburg,antwerp,genoa,korramsha iran,basra Iraq.no air con then >we roasted< the cotton ignited as we sailed through Biscay & smouldered to the port of Liverpool,when they removed the hatch cover to No 4 hold a blaze took over. am 69 now & I believe this was December 1963,,the galley boy was also a Mansfield lad phil wyng,asst steward Lawrence vella of cable street London. happy days !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
last year I retired my last ships being the Clipper Odyssey and Ocean Diamond its been a good 54 years at sea although I have tried not to work more than 6 months per year since I lived in Australia in the 70,s See my earlier post for ships I served on with WHSN.I remember you Barrie Butler I believe you were from Liverpool with an older girlfriend.The fire was from oilcake loaded in Sudan and was in the deeptank which was flooded before we arrived in Liverpool

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello Alan. Did WHSN,stop recruiting deck apprentices in 1965? I went for an interview in late 1964,when I was at South Shields Marine and Tech. They informed me during the interview,that they were offering no more apprenticeships,after a certain date(can't remember when),and because I would not be taking my O levels for some months,it would be unlikely that they could offer me a position. I joined Stag Line instead.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Greetings,

I just realised that a "Jessie sort of chap" could give some folks entirely the wrong idea. By "Jessie" I mean "Jesmond Road School", should have called it "Jezzie". I'm sure Robs Audi will know what I mean.

Robs, I reckon the nissan type huts were in the Burn Valley on the other side of Elwick Road anyway I'll sent you a photo of Elwick Road School as it now is and if you tell me what number Clifton Avenue you lived I'll send you a photo of that too.

Aye

Pat Thompson

You can't get enough photos of "O'Boats"
My Grandmother lived in Kimberley Street for many years. I used to go over the Transporter Bridge and then catch a bus to Hartleppol, via Seaton Carew to visit her. Happy days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi pat ,,one of your threads gives reference to m.v. kepwickhall 1963.was you aboard when the cargo in No 4 hold ignited>>cotton bails<<.I was pantry boy & my mate phil wyng was galley boy on that trip.we both went on to better things >>union castle liners<<
my career started just north of the transporter bridge at grays dry dock aboard the m v rushpool,,a grain bulk carrier between Canada & japan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello John.

my first ship as jnr. engineer was the grantleyhall, did 2 x4 month trips from late 1970, early 1971. had an absolute ball, but did not get asked back after my second trip, this was obviously jealousy on the part of everyone else (nah, as the chief (geddes?) said, "you have the makings of a good engineer, but you're a bad drunk" ) would go back on her anytime, now i'm older and a little wiser.
Hello John,
I remember those days well, I was a second trip cadet when you joined.
Hope you are well.
Best regards
David Gibson.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello John,
I remember those days well, I was a second trip cadet when you joined.
Hope you are well.
Best regards
David Gibson.
Hello Dave, been nearly 50 years, so refresh my memory, tall, stocky, dark hair, from Rutland? I am doing very well actually, forced retrenchment after 30 years in the coal mines of central Queensland 2 years ago, living on a couple of acres on the Burnett river in Bundaberg. Gave the sea away in 1972, before the drink killed me, kicked around on various jobs till I migrated to OZ in 1980. had a pretty good life. Did you make a career of the sea? Captain Gibson? You are the first shipmate from those days I have heard from, great to hear from you, best regards, John Hardy.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
what a thread? old memories! Iwas at contantine (OND 59-61) tech-digs in Borough road, and drinking nights out around the town the corporation! and in day light only over the boarder to the transporter, and into 'British West Hartlepool', which I visited in latter life to the offshore module building yards for the Gannet Platform.
I just thinking of the town-''over the boarder'' and then into ''British West Hartlepool'' as my landlady and steverdore husband refered to the beauty spots of TEESIDE. AH! OH! Ouch from you settlers in the town!
The beers camerons strongarm Vaux ??? and newcastle exhibition

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Dave, been nearly 50 years, so refresh my memory, tall, stocky, dark hair, from Rutland? I am doing very well actually, forced retrenchment after 30 years in the coal mines of central Queensland 2 years ago, living on a couple of acres on the Burnett river in Bundaberg. Gave the sea away in 1972, before the drink killed me, kicked around on various jobs till I migrated to OZ in 1980. had a pretty good life. Did you make a career of the sea? Captain Gibson? You are the first shipmate from those days I have heard from, great to hear from you, best regards, John Hardy.
. Hi John, apologies for the late reply, I replied to the link via the email alert, but obviously failed to reach you. Yes, I made a career of going to sea & still at it. Sailed as Captain for many years until several years ago whereupon I started my own Marine Consultancy Company. The other Cadet was Tony from Rutland, he packed in half way through his third trip. I was the fair, medium height thin child. I have a photo of you taken in the Cadet's cabin, the toilet in the background sums that day up I think. The cap was supplied by me. I miss those days, As the years progressed life at sea became much different in many ways. Please revert with email address & I will send the photo.
Kind regards
Dave.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
what a thread? old memories! Iwas at contantine (OND 59-61) tech-digs in Borough road, and drinking nights out around the town the corporation! and in day light only over the boarder to the transporter, and into 'British West Hartlepool', which I visited in latter life to the offshore module building yards for the Gannet Platform.
I just thinking of the town-''over the boarder'' and then into ''British West Hartlepool'' as my landlady and steverdore husband refered to the beauty spots of TEESIDE. AH! OH! Ouch from you settlers in the town!
The beers camerons strongarm Vaux ??? and newcastle exhibition
Two years in The Boro and you still san't spell Teesside....Tut Tut!
In 1959/1960 I was just over the road in Constantines HQ>
geoff

41 - 60 of 64 Posts