Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one ever sailed on a Whaling ship??. One time back in the 50s I was sent down by the Shipping Pool to one named the 'Northern Star or Cross" (I have forgotten the exact name,) its one I like to forget,she was berthed in Avonmouth and as I approached her gangway I got a whiff of this awful stench,almost made me upchuck, one of the dockers nearby said the smell was worst on board. I went back to the Pool and said they didn't need anyone. She had a large opening in the stern to pull the whales in to cut them up. I never did meet anyone that sailed on one. (EEK)

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
On entrance to Durban they had a whale cut up slipway and you could smell the stench of that long before you arrived., The best known whale factory ship was the "Baleana" Today in Reykjavik (Iceland) they have 4 whalers in working order, but I was told they only catch whales for scientific purposes, just like the japs and norwegians do. How much scientific knowledge do they want. The Icelanders said the whales were eating too much cod but on opening them up no cod has ever been found

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
Would that be a Salvesen whale factory ship? All had prefix names such as Southern Empress, Princess, Empress, Venturer,Collins, Opal, Harvester etc etc

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could of been the Southern Cross my memory is good but that ship I forgot real fast but the smell remain in my nose to this day.
They also told me they had all kinds of free perks and lots of overtime if you signed on. No thank you.!!

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
There was a Southern Harvester, a whale factory ship of 15364 tons, registered in Leith and owned by South Georgia co ltd ( Chris Salveson co)

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
DaveM said:
I sailed with an ex whaling master. He used to sober up enough to come to dinner on a Sunday. Sometimes he'd come into the radio room so drunk he was incoherent and when you couldn't understand a word he said, he'd fly into a rage and start punching and kicking the Oceanspan (Transmitter). I met him again later and dried out he was a totally different man, almost fatherly.

Those were the days, my how we laughed.
Dave,

Was he the one who liked to transit the Great Australian Bight via Macquarie and Hern Islands?

When I was little, there was a girl in my class who's father worked on whaling ships. One day she brought a stuffed alligator to school, that was enough for me... I couldn't wait to run away to sea. However, I'm far to environmentally friendly to have sailed on a whaling ship, although I do remember seeing and smelling the slipway at Durban, and the nearest I got to a stuffed alligator was removing the used bandages from the stuffed camels in Suez!

John T.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Crew Change Day

Two photos taken in the South Atlantic during the 1950's. The catcher "Setter II" and crew change day. Two Master Mariners from my village worked down there, one in the 1930's and the other when these photos were taken. Most of the photo collection would be deemed Politically Incorrect in today's climate, but historically very important, Regards Tony.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I have a photo of the Juan Peron's flensing deck I'll dig out and post. It is an interesting photograph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Served as a Messboy, Southern Harvester ( Salvesen of Leith ) 1953/54. First trip to sea. £7. 17.6p per month, 10p. per hour overtime. 12 hr. shifts, day /night. As we were at sea it was O.K. for those under 18yrs. to work a nightshift. I only did the one trip, but would do it again as I went away a wee boy and came back as a man. It was tough but, you soon figured out that Mummy wasn't there to hold your hand when things got tough. I was cheeky to a deckhand, I'll never forget him, he just turned round and flattened me. I wasn't cheeky again. I met him many years later and asked him if he remembered. He said no, but I must have deserved it ! I bought him a drink anyway.

There is a Whaler's club in Leith if anyone is interested.

Fred.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Whale Ship Pic

There's a grand Pic of Salvesen's Southern Harvester and Southern Venturer,
moored at the Mill Dam. You can find this at the 'Tyne Tugs' website under the link 'Ships on the Tyne' at the page bottom, along with other interesting Tyne stuff. Thanks for the welcome to Ships Nostalgia.

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
Ahoy,
Here another painting from Henk, it's a whale catcher, rebuilt in 1951 at the wharf "de Hoog" at that moment in old Delfshaven, where Henk has worked as a docker from the beginning till the delivery, was built as corvette, and layed up for a long time.Here his expression:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Shipmates,
Remember when the Whale factory ships used to tie up at Gladstone Dock in Liverpool. I think the whole crew used to be in the pub at the dock gate,and I think "Fredkinghorn" the deckhand who filled you in was the same one that started all the fights in that pub?
Neil Mac.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I once came stern of the whale factory ship Baleadon i think she was called,I am not to sure of the the name the stink was to much i don,t think anyone was reley interested she was in scotland i think Bob

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
neil maclachlan said:
Hi Shipmates,
Remember when the Whale factory ships used to tie up at Gladstone Dock in Liverpool. I think the whole crew used to be in the pub at the dock gate,and I think "Fredkinghorn" the deckhand who filled you in was the same one that started all the fights in that pub?

Neil Mac.
I heard that the crew used to have a 'Whale of a time' in that pub!!

·
Super Moderator
26,580 Posts
Lets hope they stay in the pub because the way things are going, these wonderful creatures will soon be extinct.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
The Bluff In Durban

I lived in Durban as a kid and fished with my Dad where the whalers used to tie up for Grunter . The fleet was tied up at the far end of the Grain Elevator wharf. As a kid I was fasinated bye the harppon station forward and the walkway from the acommodation to the gun .My Dad worked for the Natal Mercury and one of his pals was a well know shark fisherman. He caught a world record shark from the bluff and it was displayed in a tent along the beachfront ( 1 shilling entrance fee ! ) We got in free as Dad has his press card . I still remember touching the beast ; its skin was like sandpaper .
We would visit the Bluff from time to to time to watch the whales being hauled up the slip . Sharks would attack the carcasses and take huge chunks of blubber from them . I was about 9 years old and much impressed.
My brother Cameron was at Riversdale Tech Liverpool with the son of Salvesons but they have lost touch.
I now go and watch whales in the Bay of Fundy for sport .
Changed Days ???

Regards Derek Roger

1 - 20 of 73 Posts