Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
First one, Bulbous Bow. Second, possibly stabilisers. Third, Bow Thruster. Fourth. Double Bottom & Strengthening Plates

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
1st one is lumpy bit on the front LOL

·
Registered
307 Posts
Instruments

Consider her role and the specs available here - especially in the 'Scientific Facilities and Equipment' section.

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
airds said:
Consider her role and the specs available here - especially in the 'Scientific Facilities and Equipment' section.
Exactly, David. The bulbous bow and thruster symbols are common, but the others are not. What is their meaning?

Fred

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought the box was a tug push point, But if you look closely you will see that it is not a plain box, but what seems to be a box with a lid. Alongside is an up/down arrow. There is only one of these symbols on the hull and there is a port hole at each end of the designated space. Almost certainly not a hardened tug push point.

Fred

·
Registered
954 Posts
Is the square symbol anything to do with life raft launch positions? I know it seems far forward but a davit and liferafts are stowed above.
I doubt if a vessel with so many thrusters would need push points but could it be positions where you should not push! ie transponders etc.

regards
Dave

·
Registered
340 Posts
Presume the square symbol is for a drop keel stabiliser. Similar configuration on the FRV Scotia.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think the 3 are round symbols are markers for sonars, bathymetry sounder, net transducers, etc - ie instruments which are proud of the bottom of hull plating, and the square symbol - could be the "1.2m diameter sea tube/moon pool" - as per the details in the link in my earlier message ......

·
Registered
5 Posts
1----wash at 40C
2----no bleach
3----dry clean only
4----no tumble dry
5----hand wash only
6----may shrink in wash.

fred

" make him an offer he can't refuse "

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can assure members that the photo is unchanged. I made the posting here because, except for the bulbous bow and thrusters, I do not know the meaning of the other symbols. I thought that our members would produce the answers in a flash. You guys have shown that I am not only one to be puzzled.
The next question could be, why attach symbols that no one understands?

Fred

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
fred henderson said:
why attach symbols that no one understands?

Fred
One could be cynical and say that the symbols were posted as a protection against litigation. "We put up warning signs so it is your own fault that you were vaporized, don't come complaining to us and seeking compensation."

Ron

·
Registered
308 Posts
1. Bulbous bow.
2. Retractable something.
3. Thruster.
4. Moonpool. (See hatch on deck.)
5. Retractable something.
6. Fixed something.

I would imagine the "somethings" are sensors, transducers etc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts