Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey every body
i find this on the starboard side (engine room) on the wreck of Wayfarer 2 (last name Mitera Zafira) if someone know what can be...i'm very curious to know...
is 14,96 inch diameter and is bronze made...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
To me it looks like a drilling jig/guide.
Maybe for drilling holes in flanges to connect pipework,
The rings are in various pitches, similar to the dividing plate on a wheel cutting engine.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking can be something like this....but i'am afraid is not so, i have also sveral pipe gaskets, different sizes and no one mach...
You can see the difference from a side to the other, it is very different...... is really a strange "thing"... you can see also diametral small holes on the side of the bigger hols..
Thank you eny way...i hope to clarify this mistery...:)

https://translate.google.it/saved
https://translate.google.it/contribute

·
Registered
66 Posts
Compressor discharge valve cover, the socket holes are to hold the springs that press on the valve plates that are missing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey every body
i find this on the starboard side (engine room) on the wreck of Wayfarer 2 (last name Mitera Zafira) if someone know what can be...i'm very curious to know...
is 14,96 inch diameter and is bronze made...
this item has cased me trouble?? Is it bronze/ gunmetal? What is its actual diementions? I have trouble with the vessels date of build 1951 not later?
Is this some form of lifing gig if size is for the main engine liners/ pistons con rods ect.
Imo numbers were only designated after 1971? It is a strange ship and a mystary of ownership after alledging being mv wayfare managed by harrisons of liverpool. I find the builders date of launch 1951?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes I think that is it before I went to sea back in the late 60s I was an apprentice in a Government factory that had been built in the 1930s and they had Broom and Wade compressors with valve plates about that size. Huge things about 6 feet high

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much! finally the mystery has been solved :)
do you think it can be a spare part?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thank you very much! finally the mystery has been solved :)
do you think it can be a spare part?
Yes normally you have a few spares that you keep ready to fit, and you then over haul the ones you remove. What you have is only a part of a valve assembly they would normally be built up like the photo in #5

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
That is the upper "cage". Spares were always kept because, during maintenance, cracks would often be found in these complex castings.
Best Regards,
Dave

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you very much Dave, I appreciate
it's really very interesting, I have done more than 100 dives on this wreck, it is completely destroyed by a very huge explosion and it is very difficult to find something that is still in good shape

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes I think that is it before I went to sea back in the late 60s I was an apprentice in a Government factory that had been built in the 1930s and they had Broom and Wade compressors with valve plates about that size. Huge things about 6 feet high View attachment 685043
i had forgotten in my dotage before inert gas blankets for oil tankers the fitting of the emergency air salvage compressor in the fore spaces, and the main deck air line, with connections and shut off cocks for each tank coaming, which also had an air salvage. Cock connection for emergency useage.
That is most proberably why the emergeny fire pump ford was air driven??

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I agree it could be a compressor valve cage, it also reminds me of the top part of a frame for a LO filter cage (B&K or Scamco type) 14" is very big for a compressor valve.

Reactions: soundlight

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for information, if you can tell me where can i find more information about...let me know ..
Regards
A. S.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you very much Dave, I appreciate
it's really very interesting, I have done more than 100 dives on this wreck, it is completely destroyed by a very huge explosion and it is very difficult to find something that is still in good shape
I was interested in this one, She was built at Doxford in Sunderland, apparently the widespread destruction isn't an explosion but due to storms, she caught fire while carrying iron ore after running aground. Do wonder if this was 'accidental'!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts