Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Except for a joke or two there has been nothing on Pig & Whistle for eleven days.

Are we growing old and losing an interest in the ups and downs of our daily life?

Or has Covid-19 had an effect on our creative juices?

This particular theme won't light a fire but has given me a chance to get something off my ageing chest.

Nick

·
Registered
USSCo,Shell,P&O,Bank Line, ODA BSI, pilot Orkney,Honiara,Yambu,Dubai,Yeman, Oil Movements Egypt,etc
71 Posts
No Nick it is this site it is like trying to navigate the Great Barrier Reef without radar or a compass

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, as they say, 'Not too user friendly'. I don't think the people who put it together were aware of the average of the people who would be using it. Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's not any particular forum. Participation seems to have dropped significantly. The Gallery offerings have slowed to a crawl. Examples: Engine and Mechanics no post in over a month, like wise Life on Board. Even Members Faces only 10 posts in the last month and I only picked those at random. Marine Casualties was extremely busy, now little or nothing.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Put it down to change of format SN is withering on the ving..
As for SH can only take the word of an old R/O pal..
"Member interaction and repartee that used to be SN is just not the same.
Seen more in a graveyqard."
"Sea the Ships" another site worth a look with the right format and I understand large and comprehensive gallery.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Comes back to the old saying, `if it aint broke, don`t fix it`, would think the decrease in activity here is mirrored by the increase in SH!

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
SH is very bland and not the SN of old. OK if you are into the Crazy Gang or quizzing but the gallery is good. As I've said before, if I can muddle my way around here, anyone can and new members have started some interesting nostalgic threads/posts. The loss, on here of SN's main political Left protagonists will be replaced shortly, if the Trump thread is any indication.......

JJ.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Put it down to change of format SN is withering on the ving..
As for SH can only take the word of an old R/O pal..
"Member interation and repartee that used to be SN is just not the same.
Seen more in a graveyqard."
"Sea the Ships" another site worth a look with the right format and I understand large and comprehensive gallery.

Because I complained about photo copyright breaches years ago on SeatheShips when they first broke away from here, I got banned and still am. I cannot therefore recommend it. And anyway, judging by how many views photos there get, there does not seem to be a great deal of interest in the gallery on that site
Shipping history is good but, strangely, my photos still get considerably fewer "hits" there than they do on the (now crap) gallery here on SN. If that were to change, I will be off.

·
Spongebob
9,385 Posts
Where has Spngebob got to?, he is also missing from the site..
I am still alive John, wallowing in the wake of an old ship that has deserted me .
I have attempted to board the new ship but she refuses to accept my email address and non de plume leaving me feeling like a refrugee without a state .
Gone are the old familiar cyber friends , gone is the ship board chatter and humour , just a trickle of new boys now fiddling around the edges of a dying corpse of a once ship of the tallest order.

Bob

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
#10 bobs.....Considering their Sea the Ships site ethos am surprised Tonga and Benjidog wouldhave this attitudeI
It's not until the site goes pear-shaped does one realise it's not all the rhetoric but the gallery that;s the jewel in the site's crown and have to say as a very small gallery contributor how much pleasure the big gallery contributors have given me over the years.
Now with the new format's (crap) gallery presentation I hardly bother.

·
Spongebob
9,385 Posts
#10 bobs.....Considering their Sea the Ships site ethos am surprised Tonga and Benjidog wouldhave this attitudeI
It's not until the site goes pear-shaped does one realise it's not all the rhetoric but the gallery that;s the jewel in the site's crown and have to say as a very small gallery contributor how much pleasure the big gallery contributors have given me over the years.
Now with the new format's (crap) gallery presentation I hardly bother.
I was referring to the SH site R65, I must admit that I am not much of a gallery man, more a nostalgic writer about those wonderful years and crew that are now becoming as lost as paid up members of the lamp lighters Union .
I was a keen camera man while at sea , bought a then flash Zeiss Contina 35 mm duty free while aboard Rangitane and shot of huge numbers of ship shots as colour slides that went mouldy long ago . My only scoop was when we tried to tow the Devonport ferry from Auckland to Hobart and lost it at sea . My black and white shots of the sinking were sindigated to ANZ news papers by the Hobart Mercury and I received 26 pounds which more than paid for the camera .
Otherwise I rely on my small collection of photos of ships that I sailed on or had a personal connection with.
The old Shios Nostalgia site has really had its day, the grim reaper has harvested the vast majority of those 100000 plus past members , most of whome contributed to it being the Power Site of Mariner history .
One that many of us have enjoyed, the stories, the history , the drama, the yarns , the repartee of Trotterdotpom and Varley and many other contributions .
Perhaps it's time to open the seacocks and slowly submerge.

Bobo

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I was referring to the SH site R65,
Thanks Sb. and if you note my post was in reply to bobs...
In reply to your always interesting postings it's a pity your transparencies are not salvageable as they would be a welcome addition to any maritime gallery.
My first sea-going camera was a 2-1/4 square format German Baldinette but I soon gravitated to the ubiquitous Japanese 35mm ending with the original version Nikon F slr with all the trimmings that I parted compnany with for a VW Beetle,
I'm inclined to agree with you the halcyon days of SN are over the horizon and I think your nostalgic anecdotes will be very welcome over on SH from what I hear and JJ has corroborated in#9 it's badly in need of your services.
I don't know about you but time is running out for me with our mutual sight affliction and will stick with a true Wind Jammer that has taken us all faithfully through cyber fair wx and foul since it came on line.fifteen years ago and long may it continue to do so. 73 et BV.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am still alive John, wallowing in the wake of an old ship that has deserted me .
I have attempted to board the new ship but she refuses to accept my email address and non de plume leaving me feeling like a refrugee without a state .
Gone are the old familiar cyber friends , gone is the ship board chatter and humour , just a trickle of new boys now fiddling around the edges of a dying corpse of a once ship of the tallest order.

Bob
Glad to here you're still with us Bob , SN is knackered!!! All usual contributors disappeared,no humour ,no interesting threads, SH not much better, I use to look forward to my morning fix of SN what will I do ??

Andy

·
Spongebob
9,385 Posts
I
Glad to here you're still with us Bob , SN is knackered!!! All usual contributors disappeared,no humour ,no interesting threads, SH not much better, I use to look forward to my morning fix of SN what will I do ??

Andy
R65,
Carrying on with the cameras , I got carried away with my success with shots of the sinking ferry and bought myself all the elementary gear to do my own black and white developing and enlarging.
This saw the second Engineer go one up and buy a second hand Hasselblad reflex camera of very high resolution then to set up the ship's little hospital room as a darkroom and a fulling functioning printing service .
I did get tired of developing shots of rigging wires taken by the second at long range with the Hasselblad with perfect definition of small sprags on the cable . It was a fine machine .
Five years later I had bought an old bungalow on 3/4 acres of land to persue my gardening interests and at the limit of my finances sold all the photography gear to replace the home's worn out stove .
So ended an era , one which I has forgotten about until now.
This is what SN used to do to us all the time!
Andy,
Stick with it for now, one of us can turn off the lights!

Bob

·
Registered
11,548 Posts

Bob
Thanks for posting back Bob, also gone is Taff miss his banter a lot.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
John T, dont think they are the same chap. The experts will most likely tell us so. I knew that Barrinoz passed on, but Taff was sending me emails until a couple of months ago.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts