Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favourite nibble .
Or snack, I have just eaten the blunt end crunchy, chewy crust of a fresh wholemeal sourdough loaf and a Chunk of tasty Cheddar.
Hard to think of anything better at the moment , pork pies included.

Bob

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
What is your favourite nibble .
Or snack, I have just eaten the blunt end crunchy, chewy crust of a fresh wholemeal sourdough loaf and a Chunk of tasty Cheddar.
Hard to think of anything better at the moment , pork pies included.

Bob
Bob, I bake my own bread (bread machine) I use a wholemeal recipe (modified) and out of the oven and wait 20 minutes, the end crust with cheese or Liver paste and pickled onions or gherkins is very nice..

Frank

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
A cold sausage is always tempting. I am known to cook them only in order to have some cold for snacking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, a good sausage served cold has a delightful flavour which isn't apparent when hot - especially with the tang of some freshly made hot English mustard.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
"STRANGLED eggs"?

Just about to have a late breakfast of strangled eggs with anchovies.
What der furk are dey?

I have heard of eggs being, 'scrambled, 'boiled', 'hard-boiled', 'fried', 'poached', 'in an omelette', in 'egg-fried-rice', 'in a curry', but never 'strangled'.

DO tell-----please.(*)) Phil

·
Registered
Bank Line ships 1953 to 1968, Apprentice to Master
1,485 Posts
Breakfast...

On the QE2 the breakfast menu had something like 39 egg dishes and the 39th was 'eggs to order'! With only five or six breakfasts it was impossible to get through the lot but I tried!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
What der furk are dey?

I have heard of eggs being, 'scrambled, 'boiled', 'hard-boiled', 'fried', 'poached', 'in an omelette', in 'egg-fried-rice', 'in a curry', but never 'strangled'.

DO tell-----please.(*)) Phil
Well of course I meant scrambled. I usually have them with grated cheddar or a sprinkling of parmesan. I tried smoked salmon on someone's advice, but found them both preferable separately. The anchovy version is also known as Scotch Woodcock. I suspect it has nothing to do with the avian creature. Maybe "wood" and "cock" hold a clue. However Scotch can mean negate. Is that too much information?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
When I saw favourite nibble I thought you meant as in crisps or snacks etc, in that respect mines probably a bag of Twiglets.
But in terms of an actual snack as such it really depends on how the mood is and what the bodies craving. Carb loaded stuff or protein it all depends. Also comes down to whats in the fridge. Cheese and pickles is always a good un though.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
When I saw favourite nibble I thought you meant as in crisps or snacks etc, in that respect mines probably a bag of Twiglets.
But in terms of an actual snack as such it really depends on how the mood is and what the bodies craving. Carb loaded stuff or protein it all depends. Also comes down to whats in the fridge. Cheese and pickles is always a good un though.

Cheers
Kev, you speak from your area of expertise. What you fancy varies according to your current condition. That must vary. We have some idea about it, but what about pregnancy cravings. Any comments from those qualified?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Kev, you speak from your area of expertise. What you fancy varies according to your current condition. That must vary. We have some idea about it, but what about pregnancy cravings. Any comments from those qualified?
Hi Robert, women's pregnancy cravings are well do***ented I suppose, one of those I remember being charcoal. A couple of weeks back my Mam was at a Northumberland farmers market, she brought back a mature cheddar and charcoal cheese, it was very soft, and dark, and to me a bit of an acquired taste, although not repugnant in any way. It was actually deceptively creamy. Mrs Kevjacko being beyond pregnancy years unfortunately won't be able to shed any light on it's craving reducing qualities.

I've got a mate who after we have done a heavy martial arts session swears by pickle onion crisp sandwiches made with wholesale bread. He swears there's enough protein, and carbs to replenish what we've just burnt off.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess if I think back there have been many 'simple' food bombs in my life that invite the hunger pangs at the very thought.

The sediment at the bottom of the dripping tin
Fried cheese
Streaky bacon fried to a crisp
A good crisp on outside , hot and floury inside , chip
The top slice of the weekend roast beef sirloin , Dad always reserved that .
A good kipper, hard to find in NZ .
Black pudding

Many more will drift to mind

Bob

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Marmite Soldiers were always very pleasant. Unfortunately, over here some philistine has recently meddled with the recipe, so to me they have become a past pleasure.
Dripping on toast, with lots of salt and pepper is very nice.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Faux Marmite! Can't they be taken to Court?

Twiglets - agree strongly. Often have a small packet in the evening or one of hickory smoked almonds.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Well of course I meant scrambled. I usually have them with grated cheddar or a sprinkling of parmesan. I tried smoked salmon on someone's advice, but found them both preferable separately. The anchovy version is also known as Scotch Woodcock. I suspect it has nothing to do with the avian creature. Maybe "wood" and "cock" hold a clue. However Scotch can mean negate. Is that too much information?
If you enjoy your scrambled egg with plenty of pepper try, instead, chopping a quarter of a chilli into the mixture (per egg or two) before cooking. However I do like my smoked salmon 'with'.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
I am reminded by their first appearance on the Shoprite shelves here of crispy seaweed thins. I was introduced to these by a friend whose son is incarcerated in the local public school (for some reason only during the week). There is a sizeable contingent of foreign students there too and he swaps airtime for dried seaweed with those from China.

Very moreish. I have finished half a packet while tryping this.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Eh-up cocker------

Hi Robert, women's pregnancy cravings are well do***ented I suppose, one of those I remember being charcoal. A couple of weeks back my Mam was at a Northumberland farmers market, she brought back a mature cheddar and charcoal cheese, it was very soft, and dark, and to me a bit of an acquired taste, although not repugnant in any way. It was actually deceptively creamy. Mrs Kevjacko being beyond pregnancy years unfortunately won't be able to shed any light on it's craving reducing qualities.

I've got a mate who after we have done a heavy martial arts session swears by pickle onion crisp sandwiches made with wholesale bread. He swears there's enough protein, and carbs to replenish what we've just burnt off.
-----I suppose your "wholesale bread" will go well with Robert Hilton's "strangled eggs".

Moi? Taking the p1ss? O-o-o-o-o-h! As if! Phil(*))

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Can't beat a bit of Joe and 'arry (bread and cheese). You can go from a Dairy Lea segment on a slice of steam baked white "stick to the roof of your mouth" rubber to some mature cheddar on sourdough, it's all good, though I hate that sticky white bread (what do you get if you cross a chicken with a loaf of white bread? A cock that sticks to the roof of your mouth. No, I don't understand it either.)

Add in some pickle, pickled onion, raw onion, bit of mustard to suit, Grill it if you want. It's not unhealthy, just go and do some more work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts