Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Before and After (the wreck) photos

WOW! That's a wonderful pair of photos! It looks as if quite a lot of her was left in situ - whereas by comparison SS Camlough was largely cut up for salvage, with none of her machinery left in place.

It's stunning to see engine is still standing proud like this!

Since I last posted on this thread, I've recently received a scan of a photo which must have been taken shortly after the SS Camlough was stranded at high tide. For comparison, I also attach a photo from February when the footprint of what remains of SS Camlough stern from boiler room back to stub of screw shaft) was pretty fully exposed. She's partly re-covered in sand now.

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Glad you found a photo of the vessel you can compare to, it makes it much easier to envisage. We have other wreks, in a similar state to yours, but Pasages is great because it remains so visible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I felt as if my dreams had come true when I opened that photo in my e-mail in-tray.

I'd been spending so much time building up a mental picture of SS Camlough, but (like many people, I suspect) I still couldn't really grasp the <scale> of the ship properly from printed details and had even begun to doubt whether this footprint in the sands might have been of one of the two smaller salvage vessels which met their end on that beach during the salvage process.

The photos I had were a fairly blurred front-on view from the bow of Camlough afloat and not heavily-laden (yes, I could get some idea of her scale from the human silhouettes in the photo) and several low-res shots of a beautiful scale model of the ship made the year she was launched (which gave an idea of the curve and line of her stern hull).

But this new shot of her stranded in exactly the place where I've been do***enting the surviving stern was very much as if she had 'grown' upwards from the footprint for me - wonderful!

She looks to be stranded fairly on an even keel, but there is even a suggestion of the slight list to port and down at the stern end which shows in the wreckage of that stern section. I'm guessing that as they cut the ship up on the beach and appear to have worked their way back to the stern she might have sunk down a bit more in the process (as the bow section, which had been resting on a rock outcrop was removed and if the stern was on softer sand).

21 - 23 of 23 Posts