Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have come across a lot of old photo's taken when I was an apprentice, this should be easy for the Denholm's, lads but out of the reach of the Brocklebanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well done Calvin, your first post was correct, Sept Isles.

They had two of these loaders and when moving from the de-ballasting berth to the loading berth they would run alongside and be loading while the ship was still moving.

Actually managed to get a run ashore there as for some reason we were alongside for a few hours.

Next iron ore port coming up.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Think that was an old photo as they have bigger and faster loading rigs and we used to load 25,000 tonnes in about three hours if the two were running.

·
Registered
10,573 Posts
Did any of you Ore boys visit that superb War Museum at Narvik, it had some great exhibits

·
Registered
600 Posts
Did any of you Ore boys visit that superb War Museum at Narvik, it had some great exhibits
First time I went there was on the 'Ormsary' in 1953. There were quite a few relics from the war still there. One of them was our bosun who had a part in the famous battle.
As junior apprentice I did not drink. In Norway thne you had to buy something to eat with every beer. The lads took me ashore and fed me disgusting cream sort of cake ( bit like modern cheescake) a pievce of which they got with every beer. When we went back to the ship, they wer p.ss.d and I was full of cake. The second mate got lost on the way - fell down inside a huge snowdrift beside the submarine pens which were still there.
I do not like cheesecake!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts