Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone provide me with some background on the attached picture? It was circulated locally and considered to be a vessel approaching the fringes of Hurricane Juan which came ashore in Nova Scotia about two years ago. Any idea of the source of the picture, the name of the vessel and the date and location?

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
This photo has been doing the rounds for several years now. The copy I have says its a vessel departing Australia into the Indian Ocean.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Having had experience of a couple of hurricanes, I find it hard to belive that the sea is so calm so near what is obviously the outer fringes of the heart / eye.

I think its a tropical rain / thunderstorm.

Chris.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Probably some sort of cold or warm front or occlusion.
I have some not very good pics somewhere of a similair thing off NSW. Not much wider than the ship was long. Just like sailing under a bloody great bridge.
If I can find them I'll post later.(Smoke)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I saw that picture years ago amongst a group of others. All faked composite photos. Amongst them was one of a guy taking a picture out of a window of the World Trade Tower with an airplane coming right at him.
I still consider this one to be a fake.

·
Banned
83 Posts
The Southern Oceans are a wondrous place and I don't blame you for thinking that this is faked.
I personally think that the photographer was lucky to get a nice clean shot.
The attached are rather poorer images taken of something similair lying east west just about on the New South Wales/ Queensland border in 1972.
Not even cleaned up let alone faked.(Sad)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
The Southern Oceans are a wondrous place and I don't blame you for thinking that this is faked.
I personally think that the photographer was lucky to get a nice clean shot.
The attached are rather poorer images taken of something similair lying east west just about on the New South Wales/ Queensland border in 1972.
Not even cleaned up let alone faked.(Sad)

The 1st & 3rd shots are what is known as 'Rolled ***ulus'(Thumb)

·
Registered
21 Posts
As I remember it from the 1956 geophysical year, when I was a second mate and an "observer / reporter" the first and last of the three are a "line squall", we saw one or two of these a year off the SW coast of Victoria. They indicated the beginning of a fairly strong wind change coming in from the Great Australian Bight. We get the occasional one in the gulfs off Adelaide. They certainly make a good subject for a camera.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Gents
The middle one is the same thing but from underneath as we passed. It was actually a lot darker and more solid than it looks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree this photo has been around for years. The first time I saw this photo it was said to be a bulk carrier departing Port Hedland in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. Squalls such as this are fairly common in the summer months; a lot of localised wind and rain with a "Roll" cloud formation. Quite refreshing after a hot day in Port Hedland and probably reduces the crew's washdown by 50%.

·
Banned
48 Posts
The belief that it is in some way a “hurricane” is misplaced – there is no swell and the sea is relatively calm; even in the “eye” of such a storm with its area of flat calm, there is the obvious swell one associates with these Tropical Revolving Storms. Everything about the photograph – the bulker - the sea – the sky – all point to it being very likely to be off Port Hedland.

Certainly the site:

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/wa/sevwx/

lends some credibility to this belief.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Having had experience of a couple of hurricanes, I find it hard to belive that the sea is so calm so near what is obviously the outer fringes of the heart / eye.

I think its a tropical rain / thunderstorm.

Chris.
Tonga,

I fully agree as my above post.(Thumb)

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts