Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This tanker is a celestial star, not a Tristar, but good try. You can see this star from Wellington as well as London. There is a clue in there!. David
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8 Posts
Lets see if you can see it from Wellington it cuts out all Stars with a declinaton greater than 46 deg North and if you can see it from London it cuts out all stars with a declination greater than 40 Deg South so our star must have a declination of between 40 South and 46 North, thats narrowed it down a bit only a couple of trillion left, er Mmmmmm, dont know (*))
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not into maths Jeff, but I saw it from Auckland and from here on the south coast of UK. It is well north Down Under, and further south in UK. It is north of the celestial equator. It features in the star maps of my book of Southern Stars that I bought when living in Auckland, and my Observers Book of Astronomy by Patrick Moore. There is a clue in the last post, but not meaning what you think. David
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
38 Posts
Could this tanker be French? There was a Company who named all there tankers after stars. If memory serves me correctly, one of them, the 'Betelguese' was lost, sadly with a large loss of life in Bantry Bay.
Peter4447
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What Tanker?

Well done John F, (Applause) the tanker is Arcturus, the same name as the star in the constellation of Bootes. My clue of Wellington referred to the latter!. The tanker was seen at Fawley on 17th August 2003 operated by Novorossiysk Shipping Co, but oddly enough does not appear under this company in David Hornsby's new book. David
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at my information, there may have been two tankers called Arcturus. The one i have information on was built in 2000, and is 12,358gt built by Brodograddiliste . Go to this link http//:www.shipphotos.co.uk/pages/arcturus.htm So perhaps other members know where she is now, and why she is not on the list of Novorossiysk Shippinh Co in David Hornsby's new book. My clues to Arcturus the star must have been good for John F to get it albeit it different ships!. So what was your Arcturus John F?!. David
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry Peter 4447, but great try with Betelgeux of Orion. Like other constellations, Orion is upside down when viwed from the southern hemisphere with Betelgeux being at the bottom instead of the top. So how did our ancestors sail by the stars when those seen in both hemispheres change postion?!. David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Pompeyfan said:
Well done John F, (Applause) the tanker is Arcturus, the same name as the star in the constellation of Bootes. My clue of Wellington referred to the latter!. The tanker was seen at Fawley on 17th August 2003 operated by Novorossiysk Shipping Co, but oddly enough does not appear under this company in David Hornsby's new book. David
Shucks, it was nothing really......I took the value of the obliquity of the Ecliptic, added it to the Greenwhich Hour Angle, subtracted the declination, multiplied it by the polar distance, subtracted the zenith distance, divided it by the right ascension, added the longitude of Wellington, etc., etc., - the only star that fitted the bill was Arcturus.
My tanker directory is dated 1965 so the one listed in there is the one of which I have given the details. She was owned by Bootes S.A. & registered in Liberia.
Kind regards,
John.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
There's an Arcturus listed in Lloyds Shipping Index Jan 2005 -

Built 1986, Italian flag, 251191dwt owned / represented by Sidemar Servizi Accessori of Genoa, call sign IBKJ...so if anyone wants to radio her and see if she's still about..?!!

Rushie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
John_F said:
Shucks, it was nothing really......I took the value of the obliquity of the Ecliptic, added it to the Greenwhich Hour Angle, subtracted the declination, multiplied it by the polar distance, subtracted the zenith distance, divided it by the right ascension, added the longitude of Wellington, etc., etc., - the only star that fitted the bill was Arcturus.
My tanker directory is dated 1965 so the one listed in there is the one of which I have given the details. She was owned by Bootes S.A. & registered in Liberia.
Kind regards,
John.
I follow your reasoning up to & including the Wellington longitude but how did you arrive at Arcturus without applying the plus or minus error of double refracted paralax?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You lost me on the first line John F as to how you worked it out. But saying that your Arcturus was owned by Bootes S.A. is more within my level of thinking?!!. David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
azimuth said:
I follow your reasoning up to & including the Wellington longitude but how did you arrive at Arcturus without applying the plus or minus error of double refracted paralax?
I allowed for dip instead plus the precession of the equinoxes. Now, if you had done an apprenticeship with BP, Azimuth, all this would be clear & straightforward......
Kind regards,
John.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Pompeyfan said:
You lost me on the first line John F as to how you worked it out. But saying that your Arcturus was owned by Bootes S.A. is more within my level of thinking?!!. David
This Arcturus was actually owned by a company called Bootes. Fortunately, her name appeared on about page 5 of my Tanker Directory - when I saw the owner was Bootes (along with your clue of Wellington) I thought that must be it. Got it right but for the wrong reasons. I would have fallen asleep by about page 10 - there's about 500 pages altogether. A lousy plot but what a cast!
Arcturus always appears very low in the sky - at least when I see it - & that's what triggered my guess.
Kind regards,
John.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
So give her a ring...

C'mon, a lot of these quiz questions seem dubious to me....

I've given you her call sign...why not just ring her up, see where she is, if she indeed still exists, and see what she's up to...? And take note of the superb thread about Ship's Adoption Society...why don't we, as a website adopt this ship, who John F "spotted" in his 1965 tanker book, but whose name is of interest to others (baffled me...non - astrologer) and start following her on her travels.? One of the most popular, and ridiclous threads is the "virtual voyage"...now maybe time to try something different..?

I'm quite happy to hear from members and sort something out...

Rushie (egg)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,475 Posts
dom

there was a german company 1956 with the prefix star,we took over run from japan to the gulf,star belgeuse,may of had a johnson star line connection,
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top