Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We Brit's were well-known for our sense-of-humour which would, usually, see us through the direst of situations.

However in modern Britain it's virtually guaranteed that someone, somewhere will "object" and the usual grovelling 'apology' will be made from the person/Company who dared expose the complainant to this dreadful calumny.

A good example is the furore a female 'student' has kicked-off about that much-loved 'Mr. Men' series for children.

Her objection? "The 'Mr Men' series is demeaning to women and must be withdrawn".

That "Free Speech" which was part of our everyday conversation is rapidly vanishing too!

Going-back to my late-teen years provides a good example! One of our 'bike' cohorts had a thick-lipped mouth like **** Jagger and was known, (affectionately), as N****r-lips, (I daren't even put it in print it's so volatile!). When we were in the ale-house and a 'round' was being 'shouted' it would be, "Smut, Lol, N****r-lips, Len, Dinger, Chuck, pint?".

Could you imagine what would happen should you even whisper that banned word now!!!!! The 'hurry-up wagon' would be there before the last word was out-of-your-mouth!!!

DON'T even mention 'elf 'n Safety!!!

Another load of rants from deepest Yorkshire!(MAD) Phil

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
Where is Satanic? I guess I will have to step in, and claim that it is good if your part of Britain joins the civilized world as well. :sweat:

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I'm not PC however, even I have my limit. I discovered it one evening in the ME.
We were on a nightstop when working for a ME airline and had discovered that there was a 'standup' on at the British Club. The crew decided to go.
Our captain was an excellent guy from Madagascar, the salient points being: a) that he was 100% ethnically African and b) I had never been to a 'standup'.

He wasn't going to attend but I persuaded him to go.

We were sitting having a beer when the 'comedian' strolls onto the stage with the opener: "There's this n****r walking along the street . . " and pauses for laughter.

Needless to say, the boss now says he's uncomfortable and wants to go. I said something along the lines that we shouldn't be thrown out by some prat who wouldn't know a joke if it hit him in the face so we remained for a bit to make the point.

If the standup had made a valid joke, I'd have supported it but this guy was probably in the ME because he couldn't hack it in the UK.

Anyway my commander that evening eventually became the A320 fleet manager for a major European airline - nice one!

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Anyway, there's this Greenockian walking along a street in Charleston, South Carolina.
(Pause for laughter)

In front of him is an elderly Real Southern Gentleman complete with black jacket, straw boater and walking cane which, I may say, was a necessary part of his stability system.

As he approached a corner around it came hurtling a black youth of about 14 years old who cannoned into the old boy and took his ability to remain upright to its limits.

BY: "Oh sorry, massah, sorry!"
RSG: "Yo look where yo goin' bouy!"
All in an accent which I'd only ever heard in films and which I'd thought was made up by Northerners to take the P out of Southerners.

As you've guessed this all took place a very long time ago. Were it to happen now, a racist exchange would take place, a gunfight would ensue and a quiet, unassuming, charming and good looking Scotsman would be shot in the crossfire (K)

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
Where is Satanic? I guess I will have to step in, and claim that it is good if your part of Britain joins the civilized world as well. :sweat:
Greetings, well I’m not actually PC but I do recognise that some beliefs , words and attitudes belong in the past. As I’ve said before I honestly believe most of the PC stories in the papers are either complete fabrication ( winter fest being one) ,grossly exaggerated, misrepresented or the ravings of one loony being taken as an example of the normal.

Mr Men kinda falls flat on its face as there are also Little Misses

As for health and safety - one of the noblest acts passed by our esteemed parliament. Which basically says your employer has a duty of care so you don’t get injured. That has definitely been hijacked by bams . Much to disgust of the HSE who really just want to stamp out shoddy practices

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that----

Anyway, there's this Greenockian walking along a street in Charleston, South Carolina.
(Pause for laughter)

In front of him is an elderly Real Southern Gentleman complete with black jacket, straw boater and walking cane which, I may say, was a necessary part of his stability system.

As he approached a corner around it came hurtling a black youth of about 14 years old who cannoned into the old boy and took his ability to remain upright to its limits.

BY: "Oh sorry, massah, sorry!"
RSG: "Yo look where yo goin' bouy!"
All in an accent which I'd only ever heard in films and which I'd thought was made up by Northerners to take the P out of Southerners.

As you've guessed this all took place a very long time ago. Were it to happen now, a racist exchange would take place, a gunfight would ensue and a quiet, unassuming, charming and good looking Scotsman would be shot in the crossfire (K)
----"shot in the crossfire" a delicate euphemism for "shot in the nuts" Basil? Phil.(Thumb)

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
There is a border between opposition to discriminatory practices and support of "good discriminatory practices", so called "affirmative action", and my opinion is that this border is not hard to discern. So if someone is opposed to giving some group a preferential treatment, it is not honest argumentation against this to see it as stated that one is for giving preferential treatment to a bordering group. Admittedly, a lot of jokes can easily be produced that way, and a lot have been made, giving girls a mock right to be boys, blacks to be white, and bearded Santa's (as pictured) to be androgynous. And they can at times be funny, be they produced as jokes, or merely made into such by a felt need to ridicule a fumbling defender of equality, but that mirth producing quality is rather seldom seen.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
The Mister Man perceived problem was that a male Mr Man was explaining something in simple terms to a Little Miss. This is, apparently, nowadays called 'mansplaining' and is considered patronising and sexist.

What those complaining seem to have missed entirely is that the explanation being offered is actually aimed at the child reader and needs to be clear and simple.

On similar vein; Some time ago I was engaged in an online exchange with a person whom I was assisting in a horological matter. The other person had a female name and I assumed to be female but that I considered of no consequence. Her thanks for my assistance included words to effect that she must have seemed slightly uncomprehending initially and that it was 'her blondness showing through' - She was the one that raised the stereotype, but it did give me a chuckle.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Wasn't it Miss Curious, who had the intelligence to ask a question and came away from the discussion better informed?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Reminds of when I was watching a very black stand up comic in the late sixties on BBC-TV with a very broad Mancunian accent, claim he had just heard from a cousin in the BWI that the local govt was thinking of taking the likeness of the Queen off their stamps. His response was 'Well,you tell them if they do that we'll take their fellow off our jam jars' I thought at the time it was uproariously funny.

Hope the readers are not too young to remember the time when Robertson Jams used a 'gollywog' to brand their jams, etc. To-day. fifty years later, I blush at the thought and rightly so.

Nick

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Sounds like Charlie Williams who was a great timer of a joke and whose warm personality soon got the audience on-side.

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
We Brit's were well-known for our sense-of-humour which would, usually, see us through the direst of situations.

However in modern Britain it's virtually guaranteed that someone, somewhere will "object" and the usual grovelling 'apology' will be made from the person/Company who dared expose the complainant to this dreadful calumny.

A good example is the furore a female 'student' has kicked-off about that much-loved 'Mr. Men' series for children.

Her objection? "The 'Mr Men' series is demeaning to women and must be withdrawn".

That "Free Speech" which was part of our everyday conversation is rapidly vanishing too!

Going-back to my late-teen years provides a good example! One of our 'bike' cohorts had a thick-lipped mouth like **** Jagger and was known, (affectionately), as N****r-lips, (I daren't even put it in print it's so volatile!). When we were in the ale-house and a 'round' was being 'shouted' it would be, "Smut, Lol, N****r-lips, Len, Dinger, Chuck, pint?".

Could you imagine what would happen should you even whisper that banned word now!!!!! The 'hurry-up wagon' would be there before the last word was out-of-your-mouth!!!

DON'T even mention 'elf 'n Safety!!!

Another load of rants from deepest Yorkshire!(MAD) Phil
Exchange N****r lips for Biscuit Lips, sounds a lot better and PC correct.(Jester) Still not nice thou.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I'm sure you were remembering a guy who appeared in the ITV series The Comedians. He was Charlie Williams and being from Barnsley, South Yorkshire, he would not have been happy to hear his accent described as 'Manchester'.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have lived for the past 24 years in South Carolina, 65 miles from Charleston in rural S.C.. I'm in Charleston fairly regularly for doctors, shopping etc..

The closest I've seen in appearance to the character depicted abusing an African-American in that "joke" is the sign outside a Colonel Sander's Chicken fast food joint, and I haven't ever heard that other accent except in the barely talky movies staring Step-in-and-Fetchit with Jack Bennie.

For your information, for many past years Charleston has been voted the "Most friendliest city in America " by the American Chamber of Commerce. And ALL Charlestonians go overboard to keep winning that coveted award.

Yes. the South had a PAST terrible reputation, but not today.

Just watch the old Second World War naval movies for caricature representation of Brits, tight-fisted Scots, thick Yorkies, yokels from Somerset, troublemaker Scoucers, Cheeky Cocknies (usualy played by Richard Attenborough), I doubt it ever was thus in real life, but seeing it on the screen or reading it would surely piss one off. As ill informed comedians do me.

Rodney

·
Registered
779 Posts
The best PC one I've come across in the last couple of years. Reading Littlejohn, in the mail, he wrote that BC and AD terms, for time, were now forbidden and were replaced by BCE and CE. I laughed thinking it was a joke or April fool.
Some time later I was watching 'University Challenge', when Paxman, referred in a question, to BCE, before the common era. I burst out laughing. The 'mighty' Paxman, kow towing to the PC brigade. I've been unable to take him seriously since.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
In the olden (BCE) days humour developed naturally (some jokes good,some jokes bad), nowadays (CE),it is legislated. In the BCE days a Rhinoceros had weak eyesight,acute sense of smell and a bloody great Horn: The Poacher on the other hand had native cunning,a distinct aroma,as do we all(hurried insertion),and a distinct disregard for nature conservation. This provided a fairly even playing field.
Then somebody changed the status quo by giving the poacher a AK 47 and a great big axe. I sympathise with the Rhino to be perfectly honest.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I have lived for the past 24 years in South Carolina, 65 miles from Charleston in rural S.C.. I'm in Charleston fairly regularly for doctors, shopping etc..

The closest I've seen in appearance to the character depicted abusing an African-American in that "joke" is the sign outside a Colonel Sander's Chicken fast food joint, and I haven't ever heard that other accent except in the barely talky movies staring Step-in-and-Fetchit with Jack Bennie.

For your information, for many past years Charleston has been voted the "Most friendliest city in America " by the American Chamber of Commerce. And ALL Charlestonians go overboard to keep winning that coveted award.

Yes. the South had a PAST terrible reputation, but not today.

Just watch the old Second World War naval movies for caricature representation of Brits, tight-fisted Scots, thick Yorkies, yokels from Somerset, troublemaker Scoucers, Cheeky Cocknies (usualy played by Richard Attenborough), I doubt it ever was thus in real life, but seeing it on the screen or reading it would surely piss one off. As ill informed comedians do me.

Rodney
My post was a factual report from 57 years ago.
The old boy was over eighty which would put his DoB around 1880.
'Look where you're going.' doesn't count as 'abuse' where I come from.
Where did I say that Charleston was not friendly?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts