Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in the papers that "manpower" "unmanned" etc are to be barred from usage in the RN, this is for more "inclusivity" in the service and to cap it all Canada's navy is to stop using the term "seamen" (or is that semen)? And heres me thinking all the lunacy is in the good 'ole USA.

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
It's all a bit daft I suppose, but I don't think many will really notice the change in terminology. It's all to do with the PC Police who want to make everything gender neutral. One word in the UK that is now out of favour, and sort of banned is "Lady" Not supposed to call anyone a Lady these days as it is deemed to be a class term, and doesn't refer to the woman in the street. So "That's no lady, that's my wife" type jokes are out of favour. I wonder what will happen to Seaman Staines? ;)

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I have never liked the word "lady", it always seems somehow off, "Pretty lady" and so on, neither of my children (40 plus) use it. Words like "chairman" (pronounced "chairmun") seem to be gender neutral but I don't care that much if others don't I will use any other term. I find changing a word like "manned" to some neologism jars and it does feel like a committee decision. In practice, I have worked in many hierarchies and had women managers in quite a few of them. They are often very much better than some rampant egoist male top-dog.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What word do road workers use when entering a "manhole" ? how the hell can you make that inclusive or gender neutral ?

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
What word do road workers use when entering a "manhole" ? how the hell can you make that inclusive or gender neutral ?
It is now an Inspection, maintenance or access chamber - depending on use.
It has been for many years but 'manhole' persists because it is easier and understood.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Those who object tend not to understand the etymology and history of words.
Historically 'Man' is non gender specific. it originally meant any person.
The term 'Woman' (originally wifman) was invented so that a person not identifying as male could differentiate themselves.

In Law, and jurisprudence in general, to this day 'man' is used to mean any person. If it needs to be gender specific then for the most part it will state either 'a male person' or 'a female person'.
Although, there are no Police women nowadays, there are female Police Officers instead, which is reasonable.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
I quite like the term "lady" and I ignore all those PC changes ... I even say Bombay and Peking. I have a lady friend from Burma, a former metallurgist and she refuses to say "Myanmar". We're not alone!

In Australian prisons the crims address all women as "Miss" and the hardest broken nose **** is never going to change that.

John T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts