Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No guesses lads ?

Clue------mincemeat

Clue------lights, but not the Bismarck type.

Clue------the nails kept you upright.

fred

·
Registered
181 Posts
fred In have only done 20 years in the fire service surely this is not what I have got to look forward to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It comes from eating too much smoke, Proto B.A., soaked to the skin in winter, roasted in summer. Never mind son, it's painless. I loved every minute of it, although it has changed so much.

Anyway, no answers to the clues, read a bit more !

fred

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoop de do ! A reply ! Sorry danube 4, too far North.

Clue---we took pigs down.

fred

p.s. I know ducks have down !

·
Registered
161 Posts
Fred,

Sounds a bit like Whaling in the Southern Ocean-read a book about it once! Think the plan was where the whales were cut up on a whale factory ship, the Rosedown was a boiler of some sort, and you needed to have screws in your boots to enable you to grip the deck through all of the goo produced in the process!

Therefore I would guess South Georgia

Any good as a guess??

Regards.

Allan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First Prize to Allan, the factory ship deck was covered with timber to save it from damage during the cutting. Anyone on deck had nails in the heels of their boots to give them a grip on the blood covered deck.
The Rosedown was a mincing machine fed through an opening in the deck, offal or lights as they were called were pushed down by a special deck gang.
Live pigs were taken down to the shore station at Leith Harbour So. Georgia, some were slaughtered aboard for fresh meat. Live penguins were brought back for zoos, and the buggers had to be force fed. They bit like hell and we had to wear oilskin aprons and boots, jam the bird between your knees and stuff fish down the throat.
Hard times ? Tell me about it !

fred

·
Registered
161 Posts
After my answer I tried to remember more about how I gained this knowledge, I read a book called "Of Whales and Men" by a chap called Robertson (can't remember his christian name) I'm sure the whaler he was doctor on was the Southern Harvester in the early 1950's....maybe you have some knowledge Fred??

Having read it I understand your comment about hard times!

Merry Christmas to all

Allan

·
Banned
48 Posts
Allan James said:
After my answer I tried to remember more about how I gained this knowledge, I read a book called "Of Whales and Men" by a chap called Robertson (can't remember his christian name) I'm sure the whaler he was doctor on was the Southern Harvester in the early 1950's....maybe you have some knowledge Fred??

Having read it I understand your comment about hard times!

Merry Christmas to all

Allan
Allan, I believe he was Dr Robert Blackwood Robertson.

Happy Christmas
Tonga

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don,t remember the Doctor, but his assistant was a Norwegian named Kjell. He played the accordian with the Shetland lads aboard, fiddles and guitars. The book is available on reprint if you punch it into Google. I've not read it, but may someday.

fred

1 - 15 of 15 Posts