Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Island. Once again those who live local please give others a chance. Also, name the wildlife?!. David

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which island?

Well done Barney, it is Kapiti Island (Applause) How the hell did you know that?. What is the name of the place opposite on the Kapiti coast with 11 letters starting with a P. And could you say it correctly?!!. David

·
Registered
150 Posts
Pompeyfan said:
Well done Barney, it is Kapiti Island (Applause) How the hell did you know that?. What is the name of the place opposite on the Kapiti coast with 11 letters starting with a P. And could you say it correctly?!!. David
The place you want is Paraparaumu- correctly pronounced stating each vowel (as with all Maori words)-Para/ para /umu - but in real Kiwi style it's always called Paraparam, or even Para

Signed CF (sometime secindary teacher wouldn't you guess!)

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Chris

The place I was thinking of is the name of the place I wrote on the slide where I took this called Paikakariki. I was on holiday in the area from Auckland, so could be wrong with actual location, but it is a good old Maori place name. I know all about Maori because I learned how to speak it when I lived there. David

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Hi David. Lucky guess i suppose, Saw the island down there on it own, it caught my eye, found the name and thought i'll try that. Lucky.
All the best. Barney.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Kapiti Island

I've checked out the maps (being a sometime geography teacher and Second Mate) - PaEkakariki is a bit to the South, Para is opposite!
You asked about wildlife - isn't the Kakariki a wild parrot ?

·
Registered
150 Posts
PS - I was also an ardent Pompey fan in 1948-50 - the vintage years when they topped the First division. We lived just along the road so Fratton Park was second home to me...

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chris, the spelling is Pai not Pae. It is Paikakariki. The Pai means, good, beautiful, well, approve, in Maori. You certainly remember the great days at Pompey. The team of that eara would not be in the position we are now. David

1 - 19 of 19 Posts