Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bosunjohnboy was relating the time the Tuarakina came in to Aukland after a typhoon I thought I knew some of the crew on her at that time but after looking again at the post it's at least 10 years after the time I'm talking about1963/4 was there another ship or was it the same one ?I was on the MANZ run did they call the up east run the crusader run?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
She's the "Turakina" I remember from the 60s, nice four-hatch job - built for the Crusader partnership, was she not? She looked a hell of a lot better in her NZS livery - it's quite remarkable how a colour scheme can change good looks?!

-----------
Mike.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Dox. As said by those who couldn't get a berth on her, during my years with NZSCo never laid eyes on her.

·
Registered
73 Posts
HI Guys, The Company yacht ,Turakina,was a four hatch job I did the maiden voyage on her . Joined her in the builders ,Bartrems and sons Sunderland , I paid off in Lyttleton NZ, and Joined the Hauraki for home via the Horn and Montividao ,to do my EDH ticket and get my AB stamp ,
Regards ,Peter.
PS ,She had Magregor Hatches ,no wedges or tarps. Modern times.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I never had the pleasure of a berth on her. Saw her plenty, on the Crusader run after the revolution and they put me on Zira -maiden voyage, nice ships though the two Z class, thence to become Vendee and Voges.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts