Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi My name is Geoff Clode, I attended Poplar nautical college and sailed with Houlder bros. I joined Whitco in 1972, My first ship was the London Clipper leaving her in Japan. I then joined the cardiff Clipper leaving her in Cardiff of all places!. I then attended South shields for my 2nds ticket aafter which I joined the Cardiff Clipper again leaving her in Panama. My final trip with Whitco was the Temple Bar which we took to Canada leaving her in Cardiff. If any of my shipmates are out there I would like to hear from them I am from Hartlepool but have lived and worked in Grimsby for the last 6 yrs.(Thumb)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hello Geoff, I was with Whitco in the early seventies, I stood by two new buildings, Marengo and Chrysantima then sailed on the Orange, Iris Queen and Orchidea and as part of riding crew on Gladiola when she was towed from Equador to Sweden. Some of the names I remember in the company were Capts Rick Wood, Bob Lockie, Vic Bloomfield, Rawlings. Engineers Roy Flaherty,
John Monroe, Jimmy McVey, Don Brown, John Prentice and Radio officer Harry Morgan. There are many more but I cant' remember the names right now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bill, Sailed with Don Brown, creat lad, welsh. Im the same as you, memory fading. I have some photos in Hatlepool, next time I go home will duplicate and send them. When we commissioned CEGB ships in Pool I found a pair of Whitco overalls! Worked at Smiths myself, thats were the Clippers were built. The Edinburgh Clipperr lost Her full cargo and wea berthed in Casablanca. I did a trip on the Temple Bar and was going to stand-by the Swedish Wasa getting built but had an arguement with the Old Man on the Bar and he put the spoke in for me! Great memories, wish I was just joining them again. Geoff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad to see there are some ex Whitco lads around. The whole company seems not to appear much on line. First trip with them was on Finnish Wasa then other ships London Clipper, Liverpool Clipper, Cayman/Smara and finally Korshamn.

·
Registered
172 Posts
one trip on London Clipper. worst ship i ever sailed on and was glad to get off. joined in Japan to find one generator had to be dismantled entirely to replace crankshaft. that was the start of the troubles that ranged from a cylinder liner replacement at sea, failure of the reefer plant when 3/4 loaded with fish and bananas and plenty of other incidents.
the ship may have been bad but that was compensated for by a decent crowd on board.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I stood by and was on Cornish Wasa for her first eventful year. What a year it was! Cornish Wasa, WASA? Was a ship once. Became more of a tourist site in Port Everglades.(K)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I joined Whitco in 1972 joining the Chrysantema in Aalborg stayed on her for over 6 months from the maiden voyage and left her in Nagoya and flew home,the journey took three days.Then a short 4 months on the Labrador Clipper joined her in Balboa with a couple of other blokes and no baggage(that was in Caracas)next 8 months on the Orchidea having an absolute ball,finally my last trip on the Temple Bar.What a heap that was.A couple of years ago I was on holiday in the Canaries and I met a couple from Iceland who knew an engineer that I had the pleasure of sailing with twice Gordon Kincla what are the chances of that?He had emigrated to Reykjavik,he woks in the Falklands and his missus rears Icelandic sheepdogs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
was on fyffes ship MUSA WHEN TAKEN OVER BY whitco then sailed on Swedish and Scottish wasa,that wasfrom 76 to 78 and then they were taken over by SALEN UK.ALSO SAILED ON IRISH AND SPANISH WASA. EDDIE R815614.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I joined Whitco in 1972 joining the Chrysantema in Aalborg stayed on her for over 6 months from the maiden voyage and left her in Nagoya and flew home,the journey took three days.Then a short 4 months on the Labrador Clipper joined her in Balboa with a couple of other blokes and no baggage(that was in Caracas)next 8 months on the Orchidea having an absolute ball,finally my last trip on the Temple Bar.What a heap that was.A couple of years ago I was on holiday in the Canaries and I met a couple from Iceland who knew an engineer that I had the pleasure of sailing with twice Gordon Kincla what are the chances of that?He had emigrated to Reykjavik,he woks in the Falklands and his missus rears Icelandic sheepdogs.
Having just re-read this post perhaps I should correct it and say that Gordon WORKS in the Falklands and his missus BREEDS sheepdogs just to clear up any misunderstandings!

·
Registered
753 Posts
I stood by the Chrysantema, while she was building in Aalborg, I was sent to the Orange before she sailed, I think the C.E that sailed her out was Roddericks. I was on the Orchidea from March74 to July 74, the Captain's name was Rawlings I can't remember his first name. I don't think we have ever met but we seem to have been on the same ships at almost the same time, I remember from one of your earlier posts you were on ED's Kohima in the same year that I was.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
William,I joined the Chrysantema in Aalborg early 73 in a snowy,bitterly cold Danish winter.We were all staying in the Seamans home near to the yard.If I remember correctly we got about $18 a day subsistance,enough for the hotel,food and ale at Carla`s Bar.Because of the weather they worked a very short day finishing about 1pm.The C/E was a welshman and I think Rodderick was his name,the 2/E was Cliff Mills,now sadly deceased,the Old Man was Tony Ireland,who I sailed with again on the Orchidea.I can`t remember the mates name but he looked like a Gurkha and was relieved by Paul Rugg ex-Clan Line I am so annoyed that I can`t recall the 2/O`s name he is one of my most unforgettable characters he stood in for the mate for a while and had to give the horrible Hartlepool Bosun an enema.He appeared at the bar/saloon door shaking with rage saying`You don`t understand.....it`s my birthday`quite what that had to do with it is beyond me.I`ve just remembered his name John Henry Clamp from Otley,Ilkley somewhere like that.I was on that ship so long and so long ago I have forgotten most peoples names.We had an enormous number of people on board.Shlomo Bentov and another bloke from Maritime Fruit Carriers,an Israeli lecky George,an aussie J/E John Charles Herman,a R/E Hartlepool called Colin,3/O Brian from the New Forest and a very public school Friggie who was a knob.A Danish urantee C/E,4 Swiss guys from Honey well over seeing the computer.Certainly the best boat I sailed on in 10 years,the best money,conditions,catering rate,leave,shipmates and above all runs.

Long Beach,Japan,Hong Kong load again in Japan and up to Northwest States to unload and then do it again.Round and round.I left her in Nagoya and felt completely bereft and very lonely standing on the quay when signed off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
These posts don't half jog the mammeries. I remember Cap'n Rawlings. He was on the Orchidea with his missus when we has the engine room fire. I think it was the lub oil manifold splitting and squirting over the gene t/c. Either that or the gene fuel cooling to the nozzles being bypassed, can't really remember. Anyway the Cap'n put the CO2 on the engine room to put out the fire (correctly I feel in retrospect) and there was a cleaner in the fridge flat that was rescued by the heroic chief and the mate.
First trip fiver after cadetting in Shaw Sav. was I impressed, exciting times as we were on the news.

I remember Kieth Canwell and his tattoo, the Irish second mate who was going to get married to a lovely Jewish family's daughter some where in Florida perhaps and last, but not least Sam Murphy the biggest bosun in the world!

The lecky (can't remember his name but he used to tell great stories about the Antarctic Survey) and I ran down the engine room after donning a hard hat and grabbing a firex. Got to the stores level and could only see a red glow in the bilges! Started to get wet with diesel vapour so decided to bugger out. We went up to the double doors used to remove the liners from the engine room and some dick of a steward had wired the handles closed as they were rattling. Luckily some one was passing and heard our banging. Mustered on deck and gassed the engine room-did the business and probably saved the ship.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Clipper boats

I first sailed on the clipper boats first one was the Bristol then the Edinburg , bit of a nightmare with fuel oil spills every time the ginger beers transferred bunkers until the old man told them next time you spill you clean up and after that I think it was only one time.
Remember the old man was was called Pinkerton smashing guy the other was John Adams again couldn't sail with a better guy.
Then the company went and took over management of those M boats, I joined the Matina a right mess and traded world wide as they were designed to do central America and back, on the runs we were on water rationing was the norm as all toilets were fresh water as well so 45 gallon oil drums placed all over the boat to flush the toilets but the run was good after being struck in the Gulf with banana'a and after leaving having to dump 186,000 cases as they were rejected because they showed signed of sweat, outside 35 degree heat holds +9 work that one out!!!! (Paid for what was received in factory)
After that great time in the far east Philipines to Japan regular run then dry dock Japan then down to Aussie and Europe.
Personnel at the time in the London officwe Adrian forgot second name for Officers and Alan Dumbulow(Something like that) was ratings. That would be around 1975 to1977

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I first sailed on the clipper boats first one was the Bristol then the Edinburg , bit of a nightmare with fuel oil spills every time the ginger beers transferred bunkers until the old man told them next time you spill you clean up and after that I think it was only one time.
Remember the old man was was called Pinkerton smashing guy the other was John Adams again couldn't sail with a better guy.
Then the company went and took over management of those M boats, I joined the Matina a right mess and traded world wide as they were designed to do central America and back, on the runs we were on water rationing was the norm as all toilets were fresh water as well so 45 gallon oil drums placed all over the boat to flush the toilets but the run was good after being struck in the Gulf with banana'a and after leaving having to dump 186,000 cases as they were rejected because they showed signed of sweat, outside 35 degree heat holds +9 work that one out!!!! (Paid for what was received in factory)
After that great time in the far east Philipines to Japan regular run then dry dock Japan then down to Aussie and Europe.
Personnel at the time in the London officwe Adrian forgot second name for Officers and Alan Dumbulow(Something like that) was ratings. That would be around 1975 to1977
Marie McCarthy was officers personnel,is that Ray Sandercock in uniform with a beard?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
#88 far left white shirt,tie,dark beard I recognise him.He was the C/E when i was on the Orchidea,we had a week in HK because she wasn`t there when we arrived can`t remember his name a Geordie I recall.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yes that's Ray Sandercock, he was the 2/e when I sailed on Orchidea. He was British but lived in Fort Lauderdale in Florida, I'm the one standing in front of him at the bar, I think it is the night I paid off in Hong Kong, 15/7/1974. The other guy in the picture is the 3rd mate his first name was Athel.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
That`s right if I remember rightly Rays wife was a bit older than him,he used to wear a sweatshirt with RAGS on the front Raymond Arthur Graham(?) Sandercock.I liked him,a decent guy isn`t it strange how certain things stick in your mind,I can`t remember the names of half the men I sailed with but recall his maroon sweatshirt with clarity,maybe because it was s**t!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
On another note,I worked for ED`s,Harrisons,CPS,private yachts,Sugar Line and Whitco and of them all I remember Whitco with the most affection.Because they were around for such a short time they get overlooked but I don`t have ONE unhappy memory,great ships,times,runs,crews,pay,leave it was a four year holiday.I think it was the change from the hidebound,traditional lines with habits coming from centuries of trading they were much fresher and modern.Shame they ended up the way they did.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Anyone recognise these chaps?

Bugger me! you`ve just posted a new photo in addition to the ones already up.Imagine my shock to see myself and my ex-wife.I am standing in front of the dartboard with Diane in front of me.We did sail together then?The blonde bloke with his wife sitting down in front are Steve and Kath Moss he was the r/o from Wigan.that`s the old Man,his wife and his two boys on the left and i can`t remember the names of the others.The third mate was an irish bloke called Eddie his surname will come back to me he lived on Bear Island off the east coast,one of his cousins turned up at my pub near RAF Stafford,we flew out with that C/E with the dyed black beard.I think the OM and others changed when we got to Long Beach the first trip.2/Mate was Alan Young,Have you got any more?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts