Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone knows who designed the Union Castle Line's "Transvaal Castle" that would be great. It sparked my curiosity since the bridge of the Transvaal Castle looks so similar to that of the Wahine. I figured they might have been designed by the same architect possibly, Bill Waters. If not, kindly let me know

Thank you
Ahmed

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
I doubt it. The bridge of the Transvaal Castle (John Brown's) was close to her early sister Windsor Castle ( Cammell Laird's) and rather similar to the Pendennis Castle (Harland & Wolff). Wahine came from Fairfield. I doubt the designer came from that.

Looking at Wahine…. I can't see any similarity with the Castle boats at all. My OBO Avon Bridge (see photo)has more similarity with Wahine.

Stephen

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
transvaal castle

If anyone knows who designed the Union Castle Line's "Transvaal Castle" that would be great. It sparked my curiosity since the bridge of the Transvaal Castle looks so similar to that of the Wahine. I figured they might have been designed by the same architect possibly, Bill Waters. If not, kindly let me know

Thank you
Ahmed
you are right - their is a similarity between the bridge between the two

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
I went back for my original answer to Ahmed. I don't see anything similar to Transvaal Castle bridge.

Yes, there is a very deep web from the bridge wing supporting from the side of the structure. Avon Bridge.... Wellpark, same design feature. Lots of ships have the same design feature. The wheelhouse and bridge of Wahine is definitely different... the full enclosed wheelhouse, the sloping of the windows, the curved windbreak over the middle part, yes, very distinctive.

Must be easy to find the naval architect who did the styling of the ship. Might have been a 'committee' at the yard.

Stephen

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts