Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That cruise ship which was detained because of the coronavirus must have run-up colossal bills.

The berth alone, the ship was 'blocking', must have cost an arm-and-a-leg let alone crew wages, fuel for the generators, food for the crew and passengers.

So who would have to pay for all that expenditure?

Would the ships insurers pay? Being detained under those cir***stances wouldn't be 'covered' by the ships insurers----would it? Phil

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I should imagine it will be concentrating the minds of the P&I Clubs at the moment.

Shipowner's Club Clause 4A seems to cover it:

Diversion expenses
Expenses in respect of fuel, insurance, wages, stores, provisions and port charges
incurred as a result of diversion or delay of an insured vessel (over and above the
expenses that would have been incurred but for the diversion or delay) which was
made necessary for the following reasons:
A Securing necessary treatment ashore of sick or injured persons or arranging the repatriation of dead bodies aboard the insured vessel.
B Awaiting a substitute for a sick or injured seafarerwho has been landed ashore for treatment.
C Landing stowaways, refugees or persons saved at sea.
D For the purpose of saving or attempting to save life at sea.

I see some large calls coming up

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
A lot would depend on the Deductible.
Do Cruise Liners have Loss of Hire policies? if so they may also take a hammering. My Learn'd Friends are sharpening their pencils (Montblanc) as we speak.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
I agree with Duncan, P&I club. Usual claims are for medevac of a sick crewmember. "Loss of Hire", there might be a claim under Business Interruption (Loss of Profits), there is usually a clause for this "by government/authority" order. Just another day, another claim to adjust!

Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
250 Posts
"The birth alone, the ship was 'blocking"

I wonder what it was giving birth to ?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If marine insurers----

I should imagine it will be concentrating the minds of the P&I Clubs at the moment.

Shipowner's Club Clause 4A seems to cover it:

Diversion expenses
Expenses in respect of fuel, insurance, wages, stores, provisions and port charges
incurred as a result of diversion or delay of an insured vessel (over and above the
expenses that would have been incurred but for the diversion or delay) which was
made necessary for the following reasons:
A Securing necessary treatment ashore of sick or injured persons or arranging the repatriation of dead bodies aboard the insured vessel.
B Awaiting a substitute for a sick or injured seafarerwho has been landed ashore for treatment.
C Landing stowaways, refugees or persons saved at sea.
D For the purpose of saving or attempting to save life at sea.

I see some large calls coming up
----are of the same ilk as their 'land' brethren they will be exploring every detail, of their 'reasons', to find the loophole/s needed to escape having to 'pay-out'!

The 'closest' to their situation is 'A' but I think they will argue it doesn't 'translate' to their current 'detention'. Phil

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
----are of the same ilk as their 'land' brethren they will be exploring every detail, of their 'reasons', to find the loophole/s needed to escape having to 'pay-out'!

The 'closest' to their situation is 'A' but I think they will argue it doesn't 'translate' to their current 'detention'. Phil
Phil,
I know it was a little tongue in cheek, but P&I's and Reinsurers are very forthright in that is a claim is good, it is payed! It is a world removed from auto/home/medical insurance and the "claims handlers", not certificated adjusters who always want to make a claim difficult unless you take your car with hsi cousin (who will respray it free and stick on some alloy hubs)! I should know, I have been a RI adjuster for fourteen years, specializing in machinery breakdown, BI, construction and marine hull and machinery!
Rgds.
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts