Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I served my apprentice-ship with Watts Watts and stayed until reaching to be 2nd Mate.I served on the SS Twickenham,MV Greenwich,MVWindsor MV Wokingham.MV Woodford,Gulf Ras Al Aird and MV Wimbledon.
I would like to chat with any former sea mates if any are still alive.
My name is Jeff Richens who when articalled was called "Bubbles".

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
Welcome to the site Jeff,we have a Watts Watts forum just look down at the bottom of the forum list and you will spot it
I served on The Beckenham and the Willesden in the 1950s,great company to work for.

John.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hi Jeff,
I did Second Mates in 1960 with Roger Paramour who served his time with Watts Watts at the same time as you. Kept in touch with him for many years, possibly he was a shipmate of yours.

Regards, Tony

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

did a trip on the Windsor Jan 58 April 60,Capt Mudd, the only other name that comes to mind is ch stwd,Zimmerman,greaser wanted to kill him for something or other,New york we lost an AB,wanted to fight some one in an irish pub,turned out it was a offduty policeman,from what i remember it went downhill fast from there,still happy days,Charlie if your out there he asked me and i refused

·
STORES
940 Posts
watts watts

Hi,
I served my apprentice-ship with Watts Watts and stayed until reaching to be 2nd Mate.I served on the SS Twickenham,MV Greenwich,MVWindsor MV Wokingham.MV Woodford,Gulf Ras Al Aird and MV Wimbledon.
hi , i sailed on mv wanstead in 1962 medie and canada run, my name is tony wilding, my step brother paul jarvis was on beaconsfield, woolwich, raudhatain, suhail, and quite a few other tankers managed by watts, he was second cook then cook, also my friend neil grant sailed with him , both in the galley, regards, tony wilding, STORES.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Time Served

I served on the Twickenham 27/3/57 11/5/57 one trip loaded coal,
Newport NewsPaid off rotterdam,old man was atotal nutter,used to fire a .22 at beer cans on the foc/sle
Regard Charles (Kalibah)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mv Woodford

Hi,
HI Jeff, I sailed on the Woodford I think about enf of 1953 up until March 1954. What a ship for its day so modern, magnificent quarters and meal a recreation areas. Steel roller hatch covers and electric winches. Great Ship

·
Registered
135 Posts
Joined the MV Weybridge as an EDH in Durban July 1960,Then east Africa/western seaboard of the USA,Vancouver, cotton from Mexico to Japan,dry dock in Kure, light ship to Queensland, sugar to Liverpool via Djakata.
What a trip. My only cir***navigation of the globe.
Oh to be 20 again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
terry morrow

Hi,
I sailed under WATTS WATTS management in 1962 on a tanker called
The ST MELIKA, It was a GULF OIL tanker under WATTS WATTS
Management,WATTS WATTS had 4 ships from GULF OIL, this was
After the ships came under the british flag, prior to that the ships were
Under the ITALIAN FLAG,but the" MELIKA '' caught fire in the PERSIAN
GULF,and the italians bailed out with the ship on fire.HMS BULWARK
Put a party aboard ,put out the fire claimed salvage rights.this would
Be around 1958, GULF OIL then put the ships under WATTS WATTS
management.
Regards Terry,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,
Did you ever come across a Captain Angus Ferguseon. I believe he was with Watts and Watts at that time you describe

·
Registered
121 Posts
M.V. Wokingham

Hi,
I would like to chat widon't know th any former sea mates if any are still alive.
Hi Jeff, I was R/O on the Wokingham August '56 to July '57 - what a brilliant ship (I have a pic on the wall right now) I can't remember where I signed on but our voyage was Australia, Adelaide, Port Pirie, Albany, Bunbury and Fremantle -up to Calcutta for grain back to Oz then Beira loading chrome ore for Baltimore finally paying off in Rotterdam.
Very happy ship but as a non-Watts Watts Company man (Siemens Marine radio) I don't remember the guys on board unfortunately.
I would dearly love to know where that voyage began/ where I signed on.
Best wishes to all,

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tony Veale

I sailed on the Mv Weybridge for two trips. The first as a junior eng and the second as 4th. The first trip was from Gravesend 1965 to Canada, then South Africa where we loaded sugar for Japan. We were then chartered by the K line for a two year stint. West coast of States, Central America, through the canal and all stations the other side. Then back to Japan.
Really memorable trips. Eventually paying off in Tampa florida after 18 months. My next trip was shorter. Flying back to rejoin her in Haiti after the relief 4th went sick. We returned to the UK in 1967 to learn that the ship had been sold to the Pakistan National Line and we where to deliver her. This plan was scuppered by the six day war which closed the Suez. We handed over in Marseille and flew home. A great ship with some great shipmates.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Tony,

Thanks for that - the Wokingham was a great ship and those on it - I think I'm probably still engaged to a girl in Fremantle, but I never got back (her insistence) - in the small ports of OZ people turned out to see the ship. I have a picture of the Wokingham on my study wall now !

All the best,

Bob

·
Registered
66 Posts
m.v.Windsor

Hello Jeff Richens.. Did one trip on the Windsor, December 1958 to February 1959 ....... Londonderry to Boston to load grain for a Kelloggs charter to Manchester. My one and only time up the Manchester Canal. I was R/O with Siemens Bros. and it was only a short duration so never got to know any WattsWatts men. Nice ship,nice accomodation and general rooms. My best memories of that time was in Boston,great city,great night life ..... was it Scully Square or Crawford street. At that time of the year I remember the Atlantic was a calm as a duck pond but there were many small icebergs to be seen.

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

Hello Jeff Richens.. Did one trip on the Windsor, December 1958 to February 1959 ....... Londonderry to Boston to load grain for a Kelloggs charter to Manchester. My one and only time up the Manchester Canal. I was R/O with Siemens Bros. and it was only a short duration so never got to know any WattsWatts men. Nice ship,nice accomodation and general rooms. My best memories of that time was in Boston,great city,great night life ..... was it Scully Square or Crawford street. At that time of the year I remember the Atlantic was a calm as a duck pond but there were many small icebergs to be seen.
you were lucky,i joined her in Feb,59. in Manchester,trip from hell

1 - 20 of 46 Posts