Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
greatfull thanks to Ruud for assisitance in posting this picture.
picture provided by kind permission of the author.
sorry, not a cross chanel steamer lads.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Sorry i think its the wrong end of the ship for Billyboy??? (egg)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Nice Brightwork, and the Deck looks Great, who owns this vessel, if this is the quality internally, then hopefully the upper Decks will be in a excellent condition as well!

·
Registered
17 Posts
A pure guess as I have only seen it from the outside - could it be the Christiaan Brunings in the Scheepvaartmuseum in Amsterdam?

Brian

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
strawberry, she is 100% preserved as far as I know.
you are getting closer Benjidog inasmuch as you are on the right track.
Imust however point out that this vessel is NOT the "Hipsnost"... too clean.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmmmm...this is a tease - unless one of us has been on board it's gonna be a hard nut to crack.

So what have we got - a preserved vessel, probably Dutch, maybe in a museum .....

Judging by the woodwork I would guess built early 20th Century (Paedrig thinks quite a lot later though). Judging by the shape and size of bridge I think something pretty small - you said not a ferry so maybe a tug, or pilot launch? I guess not a fishing vessel as I have not seen any reference to these on SN. I would guess steam rather than oil. Any of that lot near the mark Billyboy?

Come on - givvus a clue! Does she have paddles or screws, and is she in Europe or your end of the world?

Brian

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
The telegraph says she is twin screw. wheelhouse shape is a clue too! she is in europe. I have never seen her but heard about her. when i saw this picture i just had to try you guys out on guessing. reckon one of you know alredy and are keeping quiet for a bit.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
sorry John, you are way out.
Benjidog named the type of vessel. any one the got actual name. (think about them telegraphs!)

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
not the fury Awatea2. (must admit i would not have guessed it either)

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
ok, it is a tug. but which one? there were 4 tugs built with this name.1 scrapped, 1 seems to have dissapeared, one working and this one.
the picture is a wee bit missleading i think but thats the idea isnt it? LOL
this one started in life with 2 steam recip, has been re-engined with Diesels 3 times since then. she had quite an interesting lifetoo!
anyone guess yet? final clue tomorow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts