Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see from notes of the ports ss Mahronda called into when homeward bound with jute for Dundee, that we visited Ceuta (the Spanish enclave in Morocco opposite Gibraltar) 12 Dec 1959 and left the same day. Can I assume it was for bunkers? Prior to the canal, we had last docked in Djibouti for a day, but did not enter Aden for bunkers. Those tw0 ports on the way home have me puzzled.
The itinerary was: Chalna for Jute, Trinco for bunkers and stores, Djibouti, Canal, Ceuta, Dundee.
Any thoughts?

· Registered
111 Posts
I see from notes of the ports ss Mahronda called into when homeward bound with jute for Dundee, that we visited Ceuta (the Spanish enclave in Morocco opposite Gibraltar) 12 Dec 1959 and left the same day. Can I assume it was for bunkers? Prior to the canal, we had last docked in Djibouti for a day, but did not enter Aden for bunkers. Those tw0 ports on the way home have me puzzled.
The itinerary was: Chalna for Jute, Trinco for bunkers and stores, Djibouti, Canal, Ceuta, Dundee.
Any thoughts?
I can remember (1978'sh) I was in an old Birdy-type tanker en-route from Tenerrief that discharged heavy oil product and took on fresh water bunker at Ceuta, on completion crossed the straits, and anchoured awaiting orders.

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can remember (1978'sh) I was in an old Birdy-type tanker en-route from Tenerrief that discharged heavy oil product and took on fresh water bunker at Ceuta, on completion crossed the straits, and anchoured awaiting orders.
Thanks for the response. I've concluded the Ceuta call must have been bunkers and water. Perhaps the chief worried we could be too low before Dundee.

· Registered
264 Posts
On a similar note, I believe that for a time, Curacao was used for bunkers only for ships to/from Panama canal.

It was before my time, but I'm sure I heard talk about it whilst a cadet where the Shaw Savill ships used to call in, presumably because the bunkers were much cheaper than the UK, NZ, and Panama itself. When I was with SSA, we bunkered in Panama. and, likewise, a call to Aden purely for bunkers.

Martyn

· Registered
223 Posts
On a similar note, I believe that for a time, Curacao was used for bunkers only for ships to/from Panama canal.

It was before my time, but I'm sure I heard talk about it whilst a cadet where the Shaw Savill ships used to call in, presumably because the bunkers were much cheaper than the UK, NZ, and Panama itself. When I was with SSA, we bunkered in Panama. and, likewise, a call to Aden purely for bunkers.

Martyn
Curacao was before most of our times, Shell built a refinery there in about 1918 There was oil being produced in Venezuala and imported,refined and exported from the early 1920's. In my time with Shell there in the early 70's the 3 Island ports in use for refining or bunkering were Willemstad, Bullen Bay and Caracas Bay

· Registered
264 Posts
Johhny Walker

thanks for that. I had thought that it lasted into the late 60s/early 70s, but seemingly not.

Rusty Trawler;

Yes, I did cross it a couple of times. I had two weeks in drydock in Curacao, a couple of trips on the same ship working containers, and also a tanker discharge, so went to the Campo side to look around, and also visit the Seaman's Mission. I also saw it operate a few times.

It was noticeable that taxis were scarce and much more expensive when the cruise ships were in......

Martyn

· Registered
412 Posts
I took over as 2E, on the (then) Renamed, Tor Felicia, She had just come off a Charter in the Caribean, and had Bunkered Venezualan HFO in Williamstad. We kept experencing multiple exhaust valve failures, (Pielsticks) eventually the culprit was identified as Vanadium deposits from the Venzualan Fuel. Until we exhausted those Bunkers we had to run the exhaust`s below normal range at reduced rev`s, or risk exhaust valve burnouts. Still operational as Pelagitis?.

My Grandson`s last posting was Wave Sentinal a Cable layer Based in Willemstad.

Pete

· Registered
509 Posts
The wife and i were walking down a street in Willemstad and there were some market stalls, the wife paused to look at some handbags, the stall holder pushed a purse into the wifes hand and with a closer look found it to be a giant dried frog with a snappy clasp on it's mouth to keep it closed, she dropped it with a squeel and ran off.

· Registered
3 Posts
Any thoughts?
Obviously only for bunker.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts