Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teachertalk,
Nice to hear from you again as well. I lost touch after my last computer crashed and I ended up changing websites so I lost everything including all contact details.
Cant remember the surname of the second either, just tony.
The chief was a geordie and he left with you at Los Angeles.
He was replaced by Horace Freeman a great guy from South Africa.
After you left we ended up going back to Ecuador, then N.Z. for over a month and then came back through the canal to Venezuala, St Lucia and Rotterdam before I got of in London.
Remember Halifax well, plenty of snow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phil,
Your right it was.
Do you remember the kiwi third who was on while we were.
His first name was Gary.
Ive also remembered the old mans name, he was called Moran.
Steve.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes Steve, it was Gary Blyde. From New Plymouth I believe. You relieved a fourth called Kieth. The old man was Dave Moran. And there was a Tasmanian third mate too. I sailed with Horace Freeman later when I made fouth on the Strathmuir. The Auk was a happy ship during my days on her probably because the engineers were always on day work so the bar was full in the evenings. Darts were the game along with liar dice and tributes to cardinal puff. Poor old Tony could never recite the poem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phil.
Weve spent so much timetalking about the Wild Auk on the ***berland site, it should be on its own.
Gary Blyde is right.
Afteryou left we had a third on called ticker tock who was also from New Zealand and a third called Barrie but cant remember where he was from, but definitely somewhere in England.
The third Off was called keith Thomas from south wales.
Do you remember him?
I can find the 4th I replaced from my joinig instructions which I still have somewhere.
Ill let you know.
I remember the cardinal Puff well.
There were some good times in the bar in relation to that game.!!!!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Keep it going guys, I never did sail on Wild boats, saw plenty, got many hangovers, They were great ships, especially the Wild "C"'s

·
Registered
46 Posts
I quite agree Steve. Nice to see a new thread. The Third you mentioned 'Ticker Tock' was Raymond Tock, I did sail with him later but can't remember what ship. Don't know about the one called Barrie. Unless it is a surname as there was a Trevor Barrie in the fleet. We must try to get some strings started on other P&O GCD ships as they were when you and I sailed on them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phil,
Good idea about the other strings.
Youre right, the 3rd was Raymond Tock.
The 4th I replaced was a K Cornett. Do you remember him?.
I cant recall him myself.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
If you look at the NUMAST website (google will find it), there is a section "Shipmates Reunited". Click on that and there is a message from someone looking for ex Wild Auk pals. Good luck.

John T.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Phil,
Do you have any photos of the engine room of the auk or know anyone who has any.
Incidentally the same applies to the ***berland.
I can still rmember the layout of the ***berland well but the Auk has now faded.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Steve,

Got no pics, but from memory and a couple of ship visits only, didn't she have B & W main engine??? The C's had MAN's, the F's and G's had Sulzers and M's B & W's - I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
teachertalk1234 said:
I quite agree Steve. Nice to see a new thread. The Third you mentioned 'Ticker Tock' was Raymond Tock, I did sail with him later but can't remember what ship. Don't know about the one called Barrie. Unless it is a surname as there was a Trevor Barrie in the fleet. We must try to get some strings started on other P&O GCD ships as they were when you and I sailed on them.
Ticker died after a fight with the big c a couple of yrs back(approx 99) in NZ

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Steve,

Was Barrie Scott a shortish guy with glasses - mad as a cut snake. If it is the same bloke I was on the Sussex with him - great fella.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Was there a baker from the Somerset area called "Clarrie".If you were in the loop he made great cornish pasties.I sailed with him on Somerset but saw him later approx`74/75 on the Auk.
Dolan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts