Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since lockdown I've seen more wildlife in three months than in the last umpteen years..
There are umpteen birds nests (especially skylarks), birds of prey seem abundant and, a few weeks ago I had a close-up view of a stoat chasing a rabbit.
This morning, walking back from the beach with the dog, 8 or 10 stoats flowed across the path just a few yards ahead of me.. A couple of the young were extra cheeky and watched me from the hedge; the dog was on his lead so it was as if they knew they were safe..

I just thought I'd share it

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Seems that they are ready to reclaim their territory after being driven from it all those years, even centuries ago .
In NZ we read of sheep herds reclaiming the streets parts of Wales , polar bears sheaking around while people are in lockdown isolation and every country probably has a story to tell.
In our neighbourhood tha shy little Native Owl, tha Morepork , no longer calls in the night from the near bushland , he is likely to be calling his evening sound from a nearby street lamp post .
A couple of locals that have been regularly driving at night report rabbits lying on the Tarmac of the quiet roads at night to savour the warmth of the seal warmed by a hot day and offering a cuddle rug against the night chill.
Cheeky little beggars , but clever!

Bob

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
So have I. Mainly verminiferous and brought in by Nos. 3 and 4 pussycats. Seem to be many more of them about this year (also experienced by others). It is not for no reason ships had a derat certificate (now called something else). Quarantine is what cleared it (we think) off this Island not attempts to do business as usual.

(Let is hope there will be a vaccine otherwise business as usual might have to be the fullterm solution.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
I have seen no more wildlife than as usual, I regularly encounter moose, deer, foxes and badgers. But today I have been plagued so much by crows that I have to believe that they really intend to taunt me. I have some metal part around the top of the pipe on my roof, and sitting near to the stove when the claws of crows grip it while jostling each other I hear the irritating sound very loud and clear. When I rush yelling out on the veranda they fly away with a lot of sound, but then soon later they are at my window in one end of the house, knocking on the glass with their beaks, and when I chase them away from there, they pick another window...

The foxes have been moving into the towns for many years now. In London, Berlin and Oslo. In one district of Oslo they have become a real pest, walking into people's houses begging for food or looking for fun toys to play with. A video clip shown on television show a pair of foxes having much fun on a trampoline. The problem comes from people feeding them.

This newspage is in Norwegian, but there is a few pictures and a video of the foxes on the trampoline: https://www.nrk.no/osloogviken/matte-kaste-_mikkel-rev_-ut-av-senga-1.15040032

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
We've been getting a bit of wild life coming into town lately but not sure if it's due to virus quiet time or the drought out west.

A couple of weeks ago three students in NSW were bitten by a fox that they thought was a cat. Apparently they were engineering students and not familiar with the great outdoors.

John T

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
We've been getting a bit of wild life coming into town lately but not sure if it's due to virus quiet time or the drought out west.

A couple of weeks ago three students in NSW were bitten by a fox that they thought was a cat. Apparently they were engineering students and not familiar with the great outdoors.

John T
They will make great engineers!

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have seen no more wildlife than as usual, I regularly encounter moose, deer, foxes and badgers. But today I have been plagued so much by crows that I have to believe that they really intend to taunt me. I have some metal part around the top of the pipe on my roof, and sitting near to the stove when the claws of crows grip it while jostling each other I hear the irritating sound very loud and clear. When I rush yelling out on the veranda they fly away with a lot of sound, but then soon later they are at my window in one end of the house, knocking on the glass with their beaks, and when I chase them away from there, they pick another window...

The foxes have been moving into the towns for many years now. In London, Berlin and Oslo. In one district of Oslo they have become a real pest, walking into people's houses begging for food or looking for fun toys to play with. A video clip shown on television show a pair of foxes having much fun on a trampoline. The problem comes from people feeding them.

This newspage is in Norwegian, but there is a few pictures and a video of the foxes on the trampoline: https://www.nrk.no/osloogviken/matte-kaste-_mikkel-rev_-ut-av-senga-1.15040032
Careful,Stein, they say crows have fantastic memories and if you get into their bad books, woe betide you, you will find yorself being 'dive bombed' when you venture into the garden!

Nick

·
Registered
2,163 Posts

John T
I trust they were advised to promptly have a tetanus jab if appropriate.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
The crows are anyway smart. I once watched two crows picking at the body of a dead cat lying in the accelleration lane of a road joining a highway. With cars coming from above this they did not budge at all, this with the lot of them doing 100 kmh or more. But with someone appearing onto the accelleration lane, they reacted immediately.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
Stein, the video in the link says "ikke tilgjengelig utenfor norge" not available outside Norway.......

Frank
I will write to the Norwegian Broadcasting corporation and complain. But I doubt it will have much effect, it happens to me with videos published by the BBC as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts