Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were suddenly awoken at 2.30 am by the most strident "hooting" from the PC which was in standby mode.

The noise was almost deafening.....3 separate notes at say mid range followed by 3 at a high frequency. The only way I could stop this racket was by switching off at the mains plug.

Re starting was successful ( for a time) and then the same noise was emitted again and then again later.

We set to later and combed through all the programmes but could not identify any particular suspect source so we methodically uninstalled anything that we thought was not relevant to our current PC usage which is very Spartan indeed!. But the problem still exists.

Has anyone ever come across this problem? I would add that the computer is 18 months old. Had hard disc replaced under guarantee about a year ago and then 3 months ago had further attention when system failed to boot up.....John Lewis said that this was an "update" fault and not serious !!.

Pete

Pete

·
Registered
490 Posts
Go to the control panel,- open up sounds, click the tab at the top- sounds,**** part way down the mini window should be a box, click on it and change to no sounds. At the bottom should be a small box to untick to stop sounds on start up. Or go START-SETTINGS-SYSTEM-SOUND [ maybe second one down] go to right side of page and click sound control panel, then start from astrix above
PS have a look at click - start - alarm+clock and make sure you havn't set an alarm

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Windows 10 hooter

Thank you very much for your reply PAULD. It seemed to me that the sound and performance controls within the programme you recommended should have sorted out this problem but despite spending ages familiarising myself with all the various options and turning OFF anything to do with sound and alarms the hooting persists.

It sounds off when the PC is awoken from "sleep" mode or otherwise immediately after the Start button is pressed.

Anyway, thank you again. We are now in the process off taking the machine back to the place where we bought it and thankfully it is still under its warrenty. I will let you know the outcome

Pete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts