Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Can anyone tell me anything about any ship bearing 'Woldingham' in its name? I have some basic details about SS Woldingham (merchant ship early 20th Century), HMS Woldingham (minesweeper) and Woldingham Hill (merchant ship mid 20th Century), but more information would be welcome. Also, are there any other vessels with Woldingham in the name? Thanks to previous respondents to a similas query in the newcomers section about a year ago.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
SS Woldingham Hill (Ex High Park 1950) 7113 tons, Built 1943 by Davie Shipbuilding & Repairing Co; Ltd, Lauzon. PQ.
424.6 x 57.2 x 34.9. 3 Cylinder steam engine 24 1/2" x 37" x 70" by 48" stroke built by Dominion Engineering Works Ltd Montreal.
2 decks, cruiser stern. ESD. code flags GQTD. Owned by Falaise SS Co; ltd and managed by Counties ship Management Co; Ltd. Registered London and British flag.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, A million years ago (well, in the early '60s actually!) I spent (unwillingly!) most of a year - as a Marconi employee - as the radio officer on the Woldingham Hill. Awful ship - tramp taking any cargo any where ..... Cured me of my desire to travel and see the world - there were/are far far better ways of doing ........
The only positive thing one can say is that, on a tramp - picking up any cargo from any where - one got to see 'way outa the way places that one would never otherwise visit.
Presume that some of it's melted metal is now forming part of plate(s) of some other vessel.
Rgds
Bren H

1 - 4 of 4 Posts