Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bank Line ships 1953 to 1968, Apprentice to Master
1,485 Posts
Workman Clark:
The very valuable "Royal Mail Group"sidebar on SN detailed quite a lot about the trials and tribulations of the Belfast ship builders, Workman Clark. The business was reconstituted as Workman Clark (1928) Ltd., for its final existence and Andrew Weir had an interest in its output ordering for delivery:
four twin screw motorships in 1930 "Irisbank", "Lossiebank", "Taybank" and "Tweedbank" and the three passenger-cargo motor liners: "Isipingo", "Inchanga" and "Incomati" in 1934.

·
Banned
4,574 Posts
McGurgle,
Not aware of Workman, Clark having a yard at Carrickfergus, though they may have carried out some repair work to small craft there during WW1.
Harland and Wolff did have facilities in the Carrick area during WW2.
Alan.

·
Banned
4,574 Posts
Hi Ted,
Sorry if I misled you by stating ''Harland and Wolff did have facilities in the Carrick area during WW2.'' I was referring a tank factory, not a shipyard.
I was hoping that someone would confirm this.
I've since heard that some of the older Carrick residents still refer to the site as the Tank Factory.
Alan.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Morning,have a few details of the early yard#s,except the 3 hoppers blt for Dublin.my interest was in yard# 31 the Carnmoney(where I live)that when sunk in 1917 by u-49 listed as owned by Marine Navigation Co of Canada but cannot find details of her sale from William Porter&Sons Belfast.Will ask afew friends in C/fergus about the tank factory.Ted

·
Banned
4,574 Posts
Morning Ted,
The following is from the Belfast News-Letter of Friday 5 September 1884.
Launch from the Belfast Shipyard.
Yesterday morning there was successfully launched from the shipbuilding yard of Messrs. Workman, Clark, & Co., Limited, a handsomely-modelled iron sailing barque, built to the order of the Carnmoney Ship Company Limited, of Belfast, of which Messrs. Wm. Porter & Sons are the managers. The ceremony of naming the vessel the Carnmoney was gracefully performed by Mrs. Porter. Among those assembled to witness the ceremony were W. A. Woodside, J.P; Mr. David Woodside, Mr. A. J. A. Lepper, Mr. Wm. Porter, sen., Mr. Wm. Porter, jun., Mr. R. J. Kyle, Mr. W. J. Dougall, Mr. David Bell, Mr. T. J. Porter, Mr. Francis Johnston, Captain Herdman, Mr. P. Kerna, Mr. W. McNeill, Mr. R. J. Porter, Mr. Fisher, Mr. Hall, Mr. Robt. Johnston, Major Blakely, Mr. A. F. Porter, Mr. A. McCullough, Mr. C. Johnston, Mr. John Erskine, and a considerable number of ladies.
After the launch the ship was towed into the finishing berth to await the putting aboard of her masts and completion of her outfit. The following are the dimensions of the Carnmoney, along with other particulars: - Length over all, 247 ft; breadth or beam, 36 ft; depth of hold, 21 ft; net register tonnage, about 1,260 tons; dead weight carrying capacity, about 1,950 tons on the load draught. She has been built to the 100 A1 class at Lloyd’s, and A 1* in the Liverpool Underwriters’ Registry, and has been specially surveyed while in course of construction. The cabin accommodation is under the poop deck, which is of a rounded form, with an iron bulkhead at the fore-end. The accommodation consists of captain’s and officers’ rooms, saloon pantry, and a few staterooms. The fittings are of bird’s-eye maple panels, walnut pilasters, and gilt trusses, the upholstery being in crimson velvet.
The petty officers and apprentices are berthed in a commodious iron house, built on the main deck amidships, and the crew are forward under the topgallant forecastle. The ship when completed is to have a full East Indian outfit. The fittings are all of the latest and most improved description, and include donkey boiler, steam winch, patent main pumps, and also a steam pump for use in the event of fire occurring on board. The windlass is Harfield’s patent, and is driven by a capstan placed on the forecastle head, and is also geared to suit, being worked from the steam winch. The masts, bowsprit, and principal yards are of iron, the others being of pitch pine. She has a large sail area, and is expected to prove herself a very fast ship. The utmost despatch will be used in the rigging and fitting out of the ship, and she will probably be ready to proceed to sea in about four weeks, when it is expected she will take her berth in Liverpool, to load for Sydney, under the command of Captain David Stevenson, the commodore captain of Messrs. Porter’s fleet.
I've got a little more info on her career - details will follow this afternoon.
Any info on tank factory would be appreciated.
Alan.

·
Banned
4,574 Posts
Ted,
Some more snippets on Carnmoney.

12/13-10-1884 left Belfast – Sydney, NSW, via Liverpool, Stevenson.
14-10.1884 arrd Liverpool.
21-11-1884 left Liverpool.
11-02-1885 left Falmouth.
04-06-1885 previous to, arrived Sydney, NSW.
29-07-1885 left Sydney, NSW, - Portland, Oregon.
05-10-1885 previous to, arrd Portland, Oregon.
10-1885 arrd Astoria, telegram dated 14-10-1885
12-10-1885 left Astoria – Portland, Oregon.
10-11-1885 left Portland – UK for orders.
10-11-1885 left Astoria – Queenstown.
19-03-1886 arrd Queenstown.
17-05-1886 left Sharpness – Melbourne.
18-05-1886 passed Lundy.
22-05-1886 spoken 47N 12W by Russian barque Ida.
18-08-1886 arrd Melbourne.
30-09-1886 left Melbourne – Portland, Oregon.
Above taken from Belfast News-Letter reports. Voyages all under the command of Captain Stevenson.

May 1887 Amphion, of Newry, went aground off Greenock after her propeller was fouled by her hawser when towing the barque Carnmoney. (BNL 23-05-1887)
25-06-1887 local Marine Board inquiry – charge of drunkenness against Carnmoney’s master, James Stevenson. (BNL 25-06-1887)
The iron barque Carnmoney owned by Mr. William Porter, Belfast, is being offered for sale at £6,500. She is now on passage to London. (BNL 14-07-1898)
The iron barque Carnmoney, lying in London, and owned by Mr. William Porter, Belfast, has just been sold for about £5,800. (BNL 05-08-1898)
The iron barque Carnmoney has been sold to London owners. (BNL 11-08-1898)
Lloyd’s Register 1898 shows – Carnmoney Ship Co. Ltd. (W. Porter and Sons) deleted, and J. Stewart and Co. entered.
Belfast barque Carnmoney in collision with Walmer lifeboat 30-09, five lives lost. (BNL 05-10-1899)

Hamburg advices dated October 21 state that by the orders of the Reichskanzler an inquiry has been held into the cir***stances which caused the explosion of a boiler on board the Belfast-owned barque Carnmoney in German territory. It appears that on March 14 of this year the Carnmoney was lying in the roads at Cape Cross, Swakopmunde, when Mr. Wilson, engineer, went on board the vessel to look after the engines. Shortly afterwards an explosion was heard, and an official went on board and found that the donkey boiler had exploded. Three men were killed and two men badly injured. The carpenter had been attending to the boiler, and the Court, after hearing all the evidence, decided that the carpenter had not had sufficient knowledge to serve as fireman, and that a periodical examination of boilers had not been made at the time the ship left London. (Northern Whig 27-10-1903)
Alan.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Workman Clark demise.

Tridentport. Hello again. Would you look at my latest Post on Workman Clark demise. I would appreciate your help. David Campbell.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Morning Tridentport,thank you for the information.From an Austrailian website I have afew dates when she arrived in sydney,2/2/1890,8/3/1900,20/6 1912 and 6/4/1913.hopefully will get some info on the tank factory.Ted

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Hugh;
Thanks for the link to Easons Bookstore in Dublin. Did the email thing, but they really do not have it. There is another Link to Belfast from ABE, but I imagine the story will be the same there

Good afternoon Rory
I just checked our shelves and unfortunately we no longer have any copies of the book you are looking for. Our supplier's website indicates that the book is out of print so we are unable to order one for you, however I have located copies on an excellent used book website which you should be able to see through the following link:
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/S...rgotten+Shipbuilders+of+Belfast&x=38&sortby=3

I hope this helps.
Regards
Louisa
www.easons.com

At this point I would gladly settle for the seven pages of TABLES from the back of the book. I think it would be a fantastic starting point for the complete Workman, Clark & Co, “Works List” if everyone would chip in the bits of info they have on hand. Interested parties here on SN would then have their very own “Ships Record of Construction” for this concern, and we could then embark on another worthwhile project together.

Thanks again Clem;
I really do appreciate your offer from the Lloyds Register. At this very moment I am working up a List in EXCEL, and can send it to you when it starts to amount to something.

I wish there was a way to Post a “Tables Format” up here where we could add our ‘two cents’ [Brass Farthing] to it. A sort of “Hope for The Best” work of art.

Thanks for your continued help, All.
Rory
Rory

Did you by any chance subsequently get hold of a copy of the book ?

I have found a copy, but before I purchase it I am trying to find if it references a ship Launched 3.6.1886 / Yard No 43 known as the Broughshane.

Regards

Tim

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Rory

Did you by any chance subsequently get hold of a copy of the book ?

I have found a copy, but before I purchase it I am trying to find if it references a ship Launched 3.6.1886 / Yard No 43 known as the Broughshane.

Regards

Tim
Tim, I think this is the vessel you mention.

BROUGHSHANE (1886 - 1895)

O.N. 93158. 346g. 148n. 152..2 x 21.7 x 11.1 feet.
C.2-cyl. (19” & 38” x 30”) engine manufactured by J. & J Thompson, Glasgow.70 HP.

1886: Completed by Workman, Clark & Company Ltd., Belfast (Yard No. 43) for the Antrim Iron Ore Company Ltd., Belfast.
1895: Sold to Herbert Lane & Company, Londonderry.
9.1.1901: Stranded.
Subsequently refloated and sold to J. Atkinson, Belfast.
1906: Sold to Vcte. S. le Gules de Mezaubran, St. Brieux, France, and renamed HIRONDELLE.
12.10.1917: Whilst on passage from Havre to St. Malo and St. Brieux with cased petrol, foundered off Sark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bill

Having done some further research this would appear to be the vessel. It seems to have had a mixture of owners over a fairly short period.

It seems that Workman Clark was subsequently acquired by Harland & Wolf so I am wondering if anyone has information as to where the old company records may now be held.

I have not been able to find any record of the loss in navy records, but from what you say it may well have been under French ownership at the time of its loss.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Bill

Having done some further research this would appear to be the vessel. It seems to have had a mixture of owners over a fairly short period.

It seems that Workman Clark was subsequently acquired by Harland & Wolf so I am wondering if anyone has information as to where the old company records may now be held.

I have not been able to find any record of the loss in navy records, but from what you say it may well have been under French ownership at the time of its loss.
If any records still exist and if H&W did take them over then there is a very slim chance they may have been deposited at the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum at Cultra, Co.Down among the material that came from H&W.

Beyond that I have no idea where you could look.

Bill

·
Registered
217 Posts
Tim & Bill H. For more information, see S/N Workman Clark demise, under People, Places, Events of Maritime Interest and items posted by Tridentport. David.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All;

I wonder if any of you can tell me if a "Works List" or "Record of Construction" has appeared for the shipbuilder Workman, Clark & Co. Belfast. Northern Ireland?

I have found reference to a book as listed below:

Forgotten Shipbuilders of Belfast
Corp Author: Workman, Clark & Co.,, 1880-1935.
Publication: Belfast : Friar's Bush Press, 2004
ISBN 094687266X

However, this book seems to show up under "Economics", and I have to wonder just what is contained therein regarding vessels built by this concern,

Any help or direction here will be most appreciated as I am trying to obtain the record of ship construction for this builder.

Cheers,

Rory
Hi Rory,
I am new and this post was done quite some years ago, I am a descendant of Frances Workman and know some history and also the place where a book written about their enterprise is held, a museum in South Australia. Regards Annette

·
Registered
850 Posts
Interesting thread this. The Linen Hall Library Shop seems to still have the book at £10 (see message #16)

First a couple of queries on Workman Clark. So far as I know, they only built one tug - the SUSAN of 1886 for James McCausland. Can someone let me know the yard number please. Are there any other tugs listed?

Secondly, WC owned two salvage tugs, MILEWATER and ULSTERMAN, which they purchased from McCausland in 1911 and 1908 respectively. Were there any others they owned?

Lastly, Ted mentioned in message#24 that there is a yard list for Rogers of Carrickfergus. Again, I have a note of only one tug from them - the EMULATOR of 1885 for Weston Point Towing Co. Is there a yard number, and were there any others?

David Asprey

·
Registered
284 Posts
workman,clarke & co,Belfast Shipbuilders

David,Emulator is listed as yard #19 and the only tug listed,built for the River Weaver Navigation Co,Runcorn.Ted

21 - 40 of 50 Posts