Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What World Cup?
Not the FIFA event hosted by France June/July Ken, or the ICC event hosted by England & Wales around same time. (Do hope the former Aus. skipper will be in the squad for that one).

But the RWC 2019 this autumn will be the first World Rugby (IRB) event held in Asia. Should be quite something. And 3 x six nations countries currently rank in the world top 4. (Though Scotland not quite there - as of now).

NZ still favourites of course. But my money is on a N Hemisphere side. (Not the hosts).

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Just wondering if it was another World Cup Scotland have not been allowed to participate in (Smoke)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just wondering if it was another World Cup Scotland have not been allowed to participate in (Smoke)
Ken, pretty sure you know Scotland will participate in the 2019 RWC. Unfortunately, current odds for Scotland taking the title about 40:1. As opposed to NZ, odds about evens.

But Scotland & NZ have much in common (aside many New Zealanders of Scottish ancestry). And amazing it is, such a small country as NZ might dominate world rugby as (mostly) they have. (Maybe all down to just a few fundamentals).

Odds for England, Ireland & Wales, currently all about the same (4 or 5 : 1).

But if Scotland can adopt mind-set that every team they play in that whole competition is called England… then maybe, 40:1 might be worth a punt.

(Or maybe just put a fiver on England and take the 25 quid).

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Put a fiver on England? And destroy my street cred? (Cloud)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Ken, at one stage of the1978 FIFA World Cup in Argentina, the odds for Ally’s boys were 1m:1 (Think all they had to do at the time was beat the Dutch by 3 goals). So I put £1 on Scotland.

One of my more reckless decisions.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, the Tartan Army, & marching music courtesy Mr R Stewart.

Despite the poor start, I thought they might just be in with a shout. Hence my squandered £1 in a Limehouse bookie. Probably get 4 or 5 pints for a quid back then….

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Derek & well done Canada women’s team. Only ever played two sevens games in my life. Short they might be, but exhausting all the same. (Well, for a 15 side hooker anyway).

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Thanks Derek & well done Canada women’s team. Only ever played two sevens games in my life. Short they might be, but exhausting all the same. (Well, for a 15 side hooker anyway).
Thanks for that ; like yourself I played very few 7's . I played a lot of 15's ; school ; college and when on leave especially when doing my tickets in Aberdeen :
Later on leave I played for Highland ( Inverness) mostly for the 2nd team ; however the Northern 7;s were on in Dundee during the week and few of the very best were available so they called me up .
I was very chuffed ; Nairn Mc Ewan was captain and number 6 for Scotland( later to become captain ) and also John Frame who also played for Scotland at the same time was in the squad.
I was no where as fit as Nairn and Co but full of go.
First couple of games I ran myself at full speed and ended up picking up a try .
I had no idea of the strategy and pace that a 7 ;s game should be played . We lost in the semifinal and I have to confess that I had run myself out and could not cover defence.
The lads did not give me a hard time but I know that if one of their regular players could have made the competition Highland would would have won for sure ..
Happy Days Derek

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Many congrats on the try Derek, especially in such company. Regrettably I didn’t play at the level you did. But my brother was pretty handy and as you, he played with/against some well-known names a couple of times. I played at school and college, and then intermittently until I was about 30. I was fairly fit (mostly), and maybe an ok hooker back then. But unfortunately never the best ball handler when anything like at pace (wet leather ball maybe?!). But as you say happy days.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I played as----

----'Left Prop' for my 'House' (Ebor) team when I was at AHGS, (Archbishop Holgate Grammar School), in York.
That was when a scrum had the scrum-half put the ball between the two opposing front-rows with the 'hookers', (small lads who were held with their boots barely touching the ground so they could reach-out with their boots and try 'hook' the ball backward to the Second Row who, in turn, 'hooked' it back for the scrum-half to retrieve and either 'kick-for-touch' or pass it to the line of 'Forwards').

The modern game, for reasons unknown, has the scrum-half 'insert' the ball directly into the Second Row which, to my mind, negates the whole idea of 'scrums'.

I much prefer League as a spectator sport. Phil

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last I was at St James’ Park was to see ABs play Tonga in the 2015 RWC. Outcome predictable but still a great spectacle.

Regrettably not able to be at the same venue today for Leinster v Saracens - the outcome was no way predictable. But a great cup final and eventually a great win for Saracens.

Many thanks Ncl Utd for hosting.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After Wallabies gave ABs (ok one man down) a bit of shoeing a few hours ago, Wales maybe now (unofficially), ranked world No 1 with only a few weeks to go.

Interesting game tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Crisis almighty! Top of the news channel 3, 'the ABs in crisis after losing to the ozzies! Well FMG, do they want to win them all? I remember a few years back when they lost in a final somewhere it was front page news for a week. Time Kiwis realised football is the game (round ball, with skill) to play and not this neanderthal spin off they call footy.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts