Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest book appeared on Amazon today. The title is from advice given when I went to sea: brother in law, an engineer with Elder Dempster, cautioned to never be cynical - 'You'll see wonders', he said. 'You'll See Wonders' is the sequel to my first memoir, 'The Best of Days'. It has been a pleasurable two years in the writing, and I've enjoyed trying to write in the spirit and atmosphere of the time. It is not autobiography, but memoir - which allows for scenes in character to be built where there are mere fragments of memory. The ships concerned are Brocklebankers of 1957 - 1959. Some of the crew names have been changed. Malcolm Cranfield and Roger Bentley have been generous with images - my thanks to them.
I'll take a few days off before I think about book 3.
The world is in a strange phase - take care.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Great read Harry.

I was apprentice standing by the building of Makrana
in Glasgow when Tommy Williams joined.

Tommy caused a bit of a fuss as the Fourth Mates cabin
was bigger than his so he got them changed round before
we lived aboard.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's cheering to know, Tony. I'm heartened that you found it worthwhile.
I appreciated the story of the 4th mate's cabin on Makrana. Tommy was probably the most senior Brock r/o at the time - he'd been on Mahanada with its cockroaches and rattling fans for many, many years and so deserved a touch of luxury. He was like a dad to me.
He enjoyed drawing out the blue plasma with the aerial knife-switches whenever St Elmo's fire was about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts