Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you lads or ladies in Grimsby know anything on these two vessels,they were registered and built in Buckie but don't know what happened to them in their later life.Something tells me that they were fishing out of GY but not to sure.
Cheers,-----Wully(Cloud)

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Athabasca

Yes Steve i certainly would say that is one of them,do you know which one it is,maybe someone with an old Olsen's would know.edit,the Athabasca would have been the Yukon Star,i am going by her colour scheme,as the Yukon Fisher was light coloured.
Wully.(Thumb)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi Steve,the Athabasca was definately one of the afore mentioned and was pair trawling for a number of years with the 'Green Valley'(dont recall what happened to her?)The Athabasca was bought by the trawling company Thomas Hamlings of Hull and renamed Our van Clair and continued single trawling,I dont recall what happened to her after Hamlings went bust. Ian

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Ian
It was possibly when I worked on the lock gates, so that would date it between late '69-'74. I'm more of an antique than you and Bryn!
Steve

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Just been given this......Albert Albrechtsen and his three man crew abandoned their vessel, Matanuska, after she apparently hit a submerged object and began taking in water and sank in less than ten minutes. They were picked up by the Danish vessel Hans Sme and taken to Grimsby. At the time she had 80 tons of industrial fish on board. One of the crew members was Ken Potterton of 100 Margaret St Immingham. The mate was Kurt Thompson. Other crew was Tom Powell from Grimsby. Dated 19th June 1972.
Steve

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hi Steve,the Athabasca was definately one of the afore mentioned and was pair trawling for a number of years with the 'Green Valley'(dont recall what happened to her?)The Athabasca was bought by the trawling company Thomas Hamlings of Hull and renamed Our van Clair and continued single trawling,I dont recall what happened to her after Hamlings went bust. Ian
Green Valley was converted to a seiner and worked from Peterhead under the command of Terry Martin who was a Lowestoft beamer skipper iirc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wullie the Yukon star and the Fisher were originaly skippered by Brothers Bob Phimister and Sandy (Dip) I remember them both coming into Oban when they were new

1 - 15 of 15 Posts