Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 60 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Re short history of Common Bros by 'Maritiem'
Weren't the 'Tynehome' and 'Wearhome' Common Brothers vessels? They traded out of North East coast ports in the early 1900's. I believe the Common Bros family home in Sunderland in those days was called 'Wearhome'
The vessel 'Wearhome' had reputedly an unusual 'cock-a-doodle doo' whistle sound. My father sailed on the 'Tynehome' in 1923 when he was only 14 years old.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tony
Having served my time and sailed with Common Bros. from 1963 till 1970 I was wondering if the book "The Trades Increase" includes a history of Commons as well as the Hidustan Shipping Company.
I did four stints on the Afghanistan and the Daghastan as well as the Iron Ore and the Border Laird and was one of the few engineering cadets that Commons ever employed. In fact when I was with them they managed forty ships[/QUOTE

hi dave,
if you are D L Anderson and were on the "Laird" in 1966 i was the second engineer and did over a year on her, the good all days!
i did over 20 years with commons and took their last ship, a gas carrier, the Bo Bengtson to the knackers yard.
ive just found this site so maybe i,ll hear from some "old" commons men,

best regards

Mel Allen

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hello Mel, still keen on the photography?
Still living amongst the "sand-dancers" ?
If it is you, must have a beer sometime.
Afghan when we had incompatible blended fuel oil and everything siezed up, even the boiler oil boost pumps, remember.
Kind regards
Colin Curtis

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi geordie,
first trip to sea was with common brothers. did over seven months on the mv leeds, sister ship to the mv langley,joined her in genoa july 3, 74,just after they were bought from the french,.remember going to durban couple of times,also a great 10 days in mombassa,some eye opener for a 16 year old,some memories i shall never forget,especially the sun shine bar,.plenty of penacillin was administered before the ship sailed.
some of the guys i remember ,tony mallon.peter duffy,catering. norman glass chippy,snowball dont know real name,rolly,paul ewes,ab,s.
and a well known ab from north shields chow norman,who sadly died in a hospital at durban,his ashes brought back onboard and after a prays by captain maddocks (think his name was,) chow was layed to rest where he spent most of his life ,on the sea.
any way geordie,getting on to the rio jean dad sailed on her for a while probably early 70 also younger brother about 76,both named ronnie dunn.
in fact my grandfather went over to the fyords when he was 70,for common brothers,as a watchman, shared the job with joe block.
said enough for now geordie.
so till the next story,bye for now
andy dunn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Father sailed on various Common Brothers ships from 1962 to about 1975. His name was Alan Robinson and he was a cheif engineer. I am at present doing my family history and would be interested if anyone knew him and had any photographs, as my mother lost ours when she moved house.
hi Liz

I sailed with your dad as second engineer on the Border Pele for the most of 1968.
"Big Al!" was a real smashing bloke and one of the best engineers that I ever
sailed with and knew "Doxfords" inside out.
I relieved him (and your Mam) at Singapore in 1974 and got a typical Big Al
handover!
I never heard much of him after that and often wondered what happened to him.
I have only fond memories of your Dad and even though i was and still am a keen photographer Im sorry to say have no photos of that time.
I was on the "Pele" when Al joined early 68 in I think the "Isle of Grain", he relieved a Chief called Harry Watson another well known "Commons" chief.
I hope your family history goes well and you hear from more Ex Commons men for your father was well known and liked.
regards
mel allen

·
Registered
3 Posts
common brothers

hi geordie
my late father in law sailed with common brothers from the 50's till the untill the 80's made redundant . his name was john george lathan . he was a c/e . he was on the farid fares when it went down off australia . he served on the caribean progress ,oakwood,rosewood . we have lots of photos and dates of ships he served on . we are just looking for ex crewmembers of his

malcolm and janet powell

·
Registered
1 Posts
Commons

Hi
I was at school with a girl whose father was one of the Brothers. I am still in touch with her so if you want any info I could perhaps help.
Regards
Lynda

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last of the cadets

Hi

I joined Common Bros in 1977 probably one of the last batch of Cadets to join the company. I was with them until they laid everyone off in 1981/82. Great memories and met lots of good guys and lassies in my time with Commons.

Sailed on Caribbean Endeavour, Fina Britannia, Kurdistan (on her when she broke in two off the Canadian Coast) Afgahnistan, Alakram, Danny F, Fernando F, Persia.

Any old ship mates who are out there, love to hear from you.

Iain May, Edinburgh

·
Registered
2 Posts
John Latham

hi geordie
my late father in law sailed with common brothers from the 50's till the untill the 80's made redundant . his name was john george lathan . he was a c/e . he was on the farid fares when it went down off australia . he served on the caribean progress ,oakwood,rosewood . we have lots of photos and dates of ships he served on . we are just looking for ex crewmembers of his

malcolm and janet powell
Hi

I remember your father from my days with Common Bros. I was only a Deck Cadet at the time, but do remeber seeing and talking to him in Australia as i was on the sister ships of the Farid Fares, the Persia, Danny F and Fernado F.

Great memories

Iain May

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi

I joined Common Bros in 1977 probably one of the last batch of Cadets to join the company. I was with them until they laid everyone off in 1981/82. Great memories and met lots of good guys and lassies in my time with Commons.

Sailed on Caribbean Endeavour, Fina Britannia, Kurdistan (on her when she broke in two off the Canadian Coast) Afgahnistan, Alakram, Danny F, Fernando F, Persia.

Any old ship mates who are out there, love to hear from you.

Iain May, Edinburgh

I think you joined the "Caribbean Endavour" with me and a C/E whose name unfortunately escapes me in Panama. You were 1st trip cadet, I was 3/0.

Miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Late father Norman (Nick) Harris sailed with Common Brothers.

The only ship I remember being mentioned was the Simonburn as my name is Simon and as a young kid thought is was mine LOL. Anyone got a picture?

He would have been Cadet/2nd/3rd? mate at the time.. I'm trying to find his discharge book to check..

On the right in this Picture http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=101327
Can anyone name the others as I recognise the chap he is hanging on to but cannot remember the name..

·
Registered
1 Posts
rajastan

My father sailed as a cadet on the Rajastan in 1944/45 around east africa coast, I'm trying to get a picture of this ship, anyone any ideas, have tried the usual google search to no avail.
Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ah, Common bros

I Served my time with commons from 78-82, then made redundant like so many others. Sailed on the Carriers for a few trips after that and wer'nt those the good old days !. proper ships and a social life .(Reefer, Persia,and Fernanda)
I'm now C/E with Maersk
Some of may remember my old man ,2nd Eng Stan Carr. he was with Commons and Fares for many years until retirement

·
Registered
753 Posts
For Juenick
I remember your father (see my post 6/9/2008 in Common Brothers 1969 to 1974) I was J/E on the Iron Crown in 1961, your father was 2nd Eng, Bill Rotheram was C/E. I sincerly hope your dad is still with us and enjoying his retiment. It was only my second trip when I was on the Iron Crown and your dad looked after me, he was very popular with all the Engineers. It was a very sporting ship, darts and table tenis, your dad and the electrician were the table tenis doubles champions but the 3/E and myself were the darts doubles champions, there was tremedos rivalry onboard. In later years I was on a ship in Bombay and looking to have some boiler suits made, the local taylors were presenting their references, and I found one written and signed by a Stanford Carr, Second Engineer, it as quite a humorous reference and I was sure it was the same same Stanford Carr that I had sailed with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi There
I remember your father very well although I never sailed with him (A real Gentleman ).We met in singapore when the Danny F (where I was 2nd Engineer for a lot of years ) was at drydock with the Fernanda F

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
My uncle, Jack Burgess, was the purser on the Hindustan from mid 1949 to about mid 1952. I came across the Trades Increase a few years ago when I began searching the net for some history on the Common Brothers. I have been researching on and off over the past 4 years (more off than on) and was finally sitting down plotting their passage over that time today and came across this site.

I have some dates and places from June to September 1949, then only have 3 dates in 1950 which I gathered from the Hindustan Herald that my uncle still has. Then I have most of their journeys from August 1951 to June 1952.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to be able to find listings of all ships journeys during a given time. I am restricted by being in Australia, but was wondering if there would be any record that the public can view.

As purser he kept a little notebook in his pocket to note arrival day/time, berth time, what the bunkers, fresh water and draft was on arrival and departure, discharge, loadings, cargo (generally only weight), cash required, any crew information, correspondence etc. This was all transferred into the Captains log. This has been a wonderful resource for me. Something to help me put together a story of his time on the Hindustan (although at the rate I'm doing this, is my version of War and Peace)

He has told me about the time in early 1950 when they were found to have 18 stowaways onboard and how they had three deserters in Sydney late Sept 1951.

He doesn't understand why I am interested as he says it was mostly mundane, but it has been fun when I do spend time with him chatting about this stuff. When I started this in 2004 his wife thanked me as we chatted more in a couple of days than he would in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.
Kat.

41 - 60 of 227 Posts