Built for Hamburg America Line by Deutsche Werft, Hamburg and launched on 25 February 1922 as Schwarzwald, a 5055 ton steam turbine merchant.
In 1935 she was sold to H. Vogememn, Hamburg who renamed her Rheingold.
On 25 October 1939 she was captured by HMS Delhi, a Danae class cruiser, in the North Atlantic. She was handed over to the MOWT who renamed her Empire Mariner and allocated her management duties to H. Hogarth and Sons, Glasgow. She saw out the war in their employ.
In 1946 she was purchased by South American Saint Line, Cardiff and renamed St. Ina. After only two years she was sold to Bristol City Line Ltd where she traded as Wells City and is shown as such in this photograph taken at Avonmouth on 8 October 1950.
In 1951 she was purchased by East and West Steamship Co., Karachi and renamed Fausta. She served them well until broken up at Karachi beginning 16 October 1963 at the ripe age of 41 years.
Photograph belongs to Stuart Smith
Copyright West Country Maritime Records.