USS Saratoga (CV-60) was the second of the Forrestal-class aircraft carriers built during the late 1950s. At that time the Navy had not yet completely gone over to naming aircraft carriers after politicians. Consequently, the Saratoga was named after a previous aircraft carrier which had been completed in 1927. The original USS Saratoga served throughout WW-II and was then expended as a target during the post-war nuclear bomb experiments in the Pacific in 1946. This ship, the second USS Saratoga, lasted in commission until 1994.