Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the book, its called "The Strange Voyage of Donald Crowhurst" published in 1970. The authors were Nicholas Tomalin and Ron Hall. In it there is a picture of the trimaran being offloaded from the RMV Picardy on arrival at Santo Domingo.
What a sad end to a very complex and disturbed man.
Hi. I was the Radio Officer on board RMS Picardy when we picked up the Trimaran Teignmouth Electron.
From what I remember. The Yacht was hauled on to no 2 Hatch. We dropped it off in Kingston Yacht club. The Picardy, then went on to Nassau in the Bahamas, where I was interviewed by a reporter from the Nassau Tribunal. I got in to a bit of bother with Captain Box at the time. I don't recall going to Haiti.

Regards,

Mervyn Boone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please,

1. Can anybody remember the name of the Royal Mail ship which found the derelict Teignmouth Electron and

2. Where the derelict was landed?

Was the ship Eleuthera? Or Loch Something? I have a vague recollection of being aboard the ship shortly afterwards (inward bound for the Mersey -and probably the Manchester Ship Canal) but I cannot for the life of me recall whether she still had the derelict on board.

My recollection of being aboard the ship is clear enough. It is whether she was still carrying Crowhust's boat which is unclear. Was it landed somewhere in USA?
Maybe a bit late to reply, but the ship was the Picardy. Royal mail ship. I was the Radio Officer on board at the time, when we found the Teignmouth Electron. She was floating about 700 miles southwest of the Azores. We put the Yacht on top on no 2 Hatch and dropped her off in Kingston Yacht club in Jamaica.
Please,

1. Can anybody remember the name of the Royal Mail ship which found the derelict Teignmouth Electron and

Was the ship Eleuthera? Or Loch Something? I have a vague recollection of being aboard the ship shortly afterwards (inward bound for the Mersey -and probably the Manchester Ship Canal) but I cannot for the life of me recall whether she still had the derelict on board.

My recollection of being aboard the ship is clear enough. It is whether she was still carrying Crowhust's boat which is unclear. Was it landed somewhere in USA?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I was the Radio Officer on board RMS Picardy when we picked up the Trimaran Teignmouth Electron.
From what I remember. The Yacht was hauled on to no 2 Hatch. We dropped it off in Kingston Yacht club. The Picardy, then went on to Nassau in the Bahamas, where I was interviewed by a reporter from the Nassau Tribunal. I got in to a bit of bother with Captain Box at the time. I don't recall going to Haiti.

Regards,

Mervyn Boone.
Mervyn:

I too was on board the Picardy, I was third engineer, and was the one who first sighted her on the bridge as I was filling in the log. I was also the "seaman" who's photographs were published in the Daily Express and subsequently the book. One correction I may make however is, that we dropped her off in Santa Domingo not Kingston, as that is where the Daily Express took my film from my camera. I do not know how she traveled from Santa Domingo back to the UK. It wasn't on the Picardy for sure.

Cheers:

Geoffrey Ashton

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please,

The ship was the RMS Picardy and we dropped her off in Santa Domingo.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi, Geoff,

My recollection of events is that the Royal Mail ship hoisted Crowhurst's boat on board, rather than took her in tow.

I seem to recall a photograph, in one of the books, showing the hoist taking place, at sea.

Was it Nicholas Tomalin's book?

The ship might even have been the Somers Isle. Will need to check my own log book - presently in the loft!

PS

Got it (via Google)! It was the Picardy.
PS, yes that was the photograph I took, I still have it in the Daily Express return envelope.
It was a strange episode for sure.
Cheers

41 - 46 of 46 Posts