Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

· Registered
2,024 Posts
During my time at KE VII we all wore navy blue blazers with the college badge on the breast pocket. Try as I may I have been unable to track one down or even find a picture of the badge. Perhaps someone at SN can post a picture or of know of one that's available.

Attached thumbnail shows my class wearing their blazers and was taken in 1964
Here we go NaScn: Vintage 1959. Cheers.

Ch Hnd

· Registered
281 Posts
In '53 there was no official uniform,we weren't required to wear blazers and I don't remember a badge. I must have thought it was clever to be different, wearing mostly a brown jacket but on every end of term report I was advised,"could pay more attention to his appearance"
I soon learned, when serving my time, it was a lot safer to merge into the background than stand out in a crowd.

· Registered
3,261 Posts
Thanks China Hand...that brought back a few memories. Got me thinking about studded collers (nothing like a pristine white coller attached to grubby white shirt) especially the plastic one that had to be worn on Sunday (I cant think why). It turned a light primrose colour over time!
That was caused by the London smog in those days. Spotless when you left the residence, black as coal by the time you got to the college.

· Registered
23 Posts
King Ted's - blazer badge

Thanks to "China Hand" for posting the jpg of the blazer badge. Can I download the image for my own use - and, if so, how?

In some group photos I have seen of King Ted's cadets, some were wearing blazers and some already in MN cadet/apprentice uniforms. Would I be right in thinking that the latter were sponsored by companies and were perhaps on the short three-month course? I have no recollection of any King Ted's lads actually wearing MN uniforms during their time at the college, so perhaps the group photos were taken at end of term?

Nice to see the photo of the "Magellan" again.

Best regards to all.

· Registered
251 Posts
Thanks to "China Hand" for posting the jpg of the blazer badge. Can I download the image for my own use - and, if so, how?

In some group photos I have seen of King Ted's cadets, some were wearing blazers and some already in MN cadet/apprentice uniforms. Would I be right in thinking that the latter were sponsored by companies and were perhaps on the short three-month course? I have no recollection of any King Ted's lads actually wearing MN uniforms during their time at the college, so perhaps the group photos were taken at end of term?

Hi Capt J:

During my time at KE VII all the cadets wore a blazer and badge with grey flannel trousers, white shirt and black tie. If you are referring to the photo in my 14 August, 2006 post, the MN uniform was worn by my room mate. He had been accepted by RFA and was in the process of kitting out for sea. This was one of the last days of our time at King Teds. Most of us thought it was a little over the top but he seemed to get a kick out of it.

A small number of cadets were sponsored by companies especially the overseas trainees. However the majority secured apprenticeships during their last term at the college. Just goes to show how good the employment situation was in those days and how strong the industry was too.

Cheers.

· Registered
39 Posts

Hi Capt J:

During my time at KE VII all the cadets wore a blazer and badge with grey flannel trousers, white shirt and black tie. If you are referring to the photo in my 14 August, 2006 post, the MN uniform was worn by my room mate. He had been accepted by RFA and was in the process of kitting out for sea. This was one of the last days of our time at King Teds. Most of us thought it was a little over the top but he seemed to get a kick out of it.

A small number of cadets were sponsored by companies especially the overseas trainees. However the majority secured apprenticeships during their last term at the college. Just goes to show how good the employment situation was in those days and how strong the industry was too.

Cheers.
NO relation to Capt. Wood but I remember the good and not so good times. I attended 50 or 51 not long after WW2 and had the best training under Capt. Chase, Miller, Fifield, glen Griffith all training on the MY Wendorian, liberty boat Magellan, whalers Lecy and somner.
Austrian Gulliver was the caretaker at Chromwell Rd and wold bore us with his violin playing in the blue room.
We had an ex-ABA boxer called Etchin ? who tried to toughen us up with plenty of thick lips, bloody noses and bruised sides.
I failed the MOT eye test (probably due to the tough up sessions and later tried as a sparring partner at Joe Louis gym over the public bar Thomas A'beckett in the Old Kent road.
I must have been punch drunk to tackle a light weight pro kid from Trinidad - Lots of more to put into a book form.
Would appreciate any stories you may have to add to my writing this book as a Nostagia days to King Teds.
Regards Tom.

· Registered
2,024 Posts
I remember getting a bulwarking from Capt Ballard because I changed my blazer buttons to MN ( my Dads' oldies) buttons. Threatened me with "masquerading, false representation" , punishable by various ghastly things ( ended up polishing the office deck and replacing buttons in watch ashore time).

Take a copy of the badge if you want, folks: just don't ask me how to do it!

Belated Happy New Year to all.(*))

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Just been told how to pick the pic with an iMac with OSX Lion.
Click on the attachment
Click on the pic
Click on your choice of saves
Whap.

Don't know what happens in Windows.
Best thought: ask grandkids or neighbours ten year old.

And you got a copy safely?? downloaded.

Aaah, we computer literate people are really something else, aint we?

· Registered
39 Posts
I remember getting a bulwarking from Capt Ballard because I changed my blazer buttons to MN ( my Dads' oldies) buttons. Threatened me with "masquerading, false representation" , punishable by various ghastly things ( ended up polishing the office deck and replacing buttons in watch ashore time).

Take a copy of the badge if you want, folks: just don't ask me how to do it!

Belated Happy New Year to all.(*))
Happy New Year to you and all.
China Hand - you knew Capt. Ballard ? When did you attend KE (sometime in the 50's ? )(Scribe)

· Registered
16 Posts
Thanks (China Hand) for posting the Blazer Bladge. I have downloaded it very simply, right click and save as (file of ones own choice.) I used to have my own tucked away somewhere.
I see you were at King Teds the same time as myself and therefore I could possibly remember you if you were to disclose your name. Send me an e mail if you wish.
Very happy time spent at the college, but it was constant study if I remember, as everyone says, day and evening even Saturdays when 'on board' at Cromwell Road although I did play football for the college somewhere near Clapham?
Happy New Year to everyone aboard here

· Registered
7 Posts
Did my pre-sea training at King Teds in 1954 and 2nd Mates ticket in 1959. Great days! I have fond memories of the three months boarding in South Kensington and and of the lunchtime sessions in the pub across the road from the college ( long since demolished for road improvements) and returning late back for orals with Captains Frost , McBride Miller etc.

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Happy New Year to you and all.
China Hand - you knew Capt. Ballard ? When did you attend KE (sometime in the 50's ? )(Scribe)
Hi Tom, and others, and best wishes for the forthcoming year to All.

I was in KE during 1959, went to sea in April 1960.

Anyone remember the Channel swim trips on Wendorian? Lowestoft , via Aldborough to the channel, then back and forth with the Butlins team on board and all sorts of radio buffs keeping contact.
Rowing the Old Man ashore to obtain, and then listening to the "clink" of the necessary navigational supplies so obtained, on the row back. Way to go!!

· Registered
39 Posts
KE Vll NC - 1951

(Scribe)
Just for the record, King Edward's was the next step in the education of many ex pupils of the Royal Merchant Navy School who followed their fathers into the Merchant Navy. As Alumni Secretary for the Old Royals Association I am in touch with quite a few of them from the 1940s and 1950s.
Just came across your thread - I was at KE 50/51 and would like to know if the college exists or has moved.
Living in the States and hope to visit U.K. in spring 2012.
I've tried to contact others but without response and have many stories to tell about the college.
You may email me [email protected].
Wishing you a happy new year. regards Tom. (Scribe)

· Registered
39 Posts
KE Vll NC

Did my pre-sea training at King Teds in 1954 and 2nd Mates ticket in 1959. Great days! I have fond memories of the three months boarding in South Kensington and and of the lunchtime sessions in the pub across the road from the college ( long since demolished for road improvements) and returning late back for orals with Captains Frost , McBride Miller etc.
I was at KE in 51 and had the best trainning with some good and not so good times.
We got caught skinny dipping in Hyde Park by 2 local bobbies - one just happen to be a women.
I've tried to contact others but no success - Can you tell me if KE still exists and how to contact - I'm trying to put a log together so those never again times are kept for Nostalgia.
Any moments you remember do let me know and if you want your name included in my log.
Regards Tom(Scribe)

· Registered
1 Posts
King Edward VII

I was at KE VII during 1st, Quarter 1953 and had a very enjoyable pre-sea training period. It was a pleasure to read back over the various posts and recall many names especially all of the lecturers in particular Captain Griffiths..a fine mariner. Gloucester Road bring back memories.

First company was Wm. France Fenwick on the "Rushwood" with fellow student David Blagg................who now resident in Newfoundland.

· Registered
15 Posts
Thoughts on K.E.V11 nautical school

R594580. See previous thread! Did 2nd Mates at King Teds 1957-8. Great fun, passed everything except signals......bloody semaphore!!! Hated it.
Dave.
Hi Dave, I too sat second mate around that time, many sat but only six of us passed, one of the first who had to sit radar cert before we got our second mates ticket printed. Went to K.E.V11 pre sea for a year aroung 1954-55, Capt Johanson used to take us for boat and sail training, but can't remember which dock. now live in Earthquake city of Christchurch NZ. Sadly havent been home to my old home in Buckhurst Hill .Essex since I passed second mates in 1958
regards Rob Allen.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts