Sv Pamir, was a four-masted barque, build by Blohm & Voss - Hamburg and launched 29 July 1905. She was one of the famous Flying P-Liner of the German shipping company F. Laeisz; and also the last commercial sailing ship to round Cape Horn, in 1949.
She was successively acquired by :
- Italy in 1920, as war reparations
- Germany back to F. Laeisz Company, in 1924
- Laeisz sold her in 1931 to the Finnish shipping C° of Gustaf Erikson, which used her for the first time in the Australian wheat trade in 1934.
- New Zealand ; seized as prize of war, 3 August 1941
- Finland - Erikson Line in 1948
- Germany - Heinz Schliewen C°, in 1951
In 1957 she called : Hamburg ; Antwerp ; Falmouth ; Montevideo ; Hamburg ;
Spithead and Buenos Aires. But on her way back home, she was caught by Hurricane Carrie and sank off the Azores, on 21 September 1957. With only six survivors rescued after an extensive search.
[COLOR="Blue"]Brings back very sad memories of September '57 when see pictures of this majestic vessel. Was hove to on ED's 'Cambray' for Hurricane Carrie thus unable to go to her assistance.[/COLOR]
Many New Zealander's sailed in her during her time in the 2nd, World War as Seaman, Officers and Masters when under the N.Z.Government as a prize vessel , Managed by the Union Steam Ship Company of N.Z. Ltd., Many of these men ended up in the Merchant Navy as Seaman, Officer's , Master's and Harbourmaster's , until she was handed back to her original Owners in 1947.